Please sign in to post.

London to Paris

Nov. 10th we're arriving at Gatwick Airport and want to spend the weekend in Paris...What is the best way to get there?

Posted by
8700 posts

Your best option is to go into London and take the Eurostar from Waterloo International to Gare du Nord in Paris. To get to Waterloo International, take a First Capital Connect train to London Bridge and a Southeastern train from there to Waterloo East. Then take the connecting walkway to Waterloo International. The train ride plus the short walk will take just under an hour. Minimum Eurostar check-in time is 30 minutes. Allow a minimum of four hours between your scheduled arrival at LGW and your scheduled departure from Waterloo International. Book your tickets at www.eurostar.com.

Posted by
23 posts

Yes, Eurostar is the best route. Note: Eurostar is changing stations. Right now it is still running out of Waterloo Station. It will begin service out of St Pancras Station on November 14 '07. If you're planning a return trip to London after your Paris trip, plan accordingly.

If you are going straight from Gatwick to Paris without a stop in London, here is my recommendation for the trasfer to Waterloo Station: When you arrive at Gatwick, you will find that Gatwick is not only an airport but a rail station. Follow the signs to the rail station and get on the "First Capital Connect" train to London Bridge Station. When you arrive at London Bridge Station look for the Underground (Tube) Station down below. And find the train to Waterloo Station. There are two tube lines which pass through the station: you want the Jubilee Line. There are maps, signs, and directions everywhere. With this route you have one change and it saves a bit of money.

Posted by
1 posts

Hello! I know it's been awhile since anyone has posted to this string, but I am in the similar predicament in trying to save as much $$ as possible and get from London (Gatwick) to Paris. Waterloo International is closed, as stated on their website: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/959.aspx
They state that St. Pancras International is now the place to depart from on Eurostar. How would I get from Gatwick to St. Pancras cheaply and easily?
Thank you!

Posted by
619 posts

There are through trains every 15-20 minutes from Gatwick Airport to St Pancras. This may not be the cheapest way, but it is by far the best if you have just stepped off a transatlantic flight and have baggage.

Posted by
8700 posts

The trains to which Bob is referring are operated by First Capital Connect. They go from Gatwick to St Pancras Domestic in just under an hour and the fare is £8.90. It's a very short walk to St Pancras International.