Please sign in to post.

London to Paris

Hi, tToday is May11, 2013, I just went on to the Eurostar site to book 4 tickets from London to Paris for may 23rd this month, only to find out to my surprise there there are no available tickets. I've never done this before. Do tickets become available at the last minute, not a good idea! What alternate suggestions do you have? Sweating :-)
Russell

Posted by
11294 posts

I just went to http://www.eurostar.com, chose US as my country, and asked for 4 tickets for May 23 from London to Paris. I found that no runs were sold out if you were willing to pay as much as $466 per person, and early and late trains were as "low" as $189 per person. Did you use a different method?

Posted by
19 posts

I did log back in and saw those same tickets, looked at the alternatives, train ferry train but that seemed like a hassle and much longer duration. Bit the bullet, paid 189, nearly three time the cheapest price. I guess I'm finding out what not knowing what you are doing can cost you
Welcome to Europe :-)

Posted by
1175 posts

I'm always amazed at the number of people who think that booking ANYTHING at the last minute would imperil their chances at cheaper fares. That include trains, concerts, ferrys, museums tickets, or anything else requiring reservations. Eurostar tickets are on sale 120 days prior to travel.

Posted by
11294 posts

Russell, as George says, it's not just Europe. Amtrak does the same thing. For instance, a ticket bought more than 2 weeks in advance between New York and Philadelphia can be $36; bought on the day of travel, it starts at $51 (but these can be sold out), and goes up rapidly from there. Glad you were at least able to get the tickets you needed.

Posted by
19 posts

yup, my mistake, I thought the eurostar train was similar to a commuter train, pretty much thought you would be able to walk up and book a ticket. As with many things, if you have not done it before you don't always know any better.

Posted by
5433 posts

The following Monday (27th) is a Bank Holiday in the UK, so there will be extra demand from people doing weekend (and extended weekend) breaks from the UK. There are very few non-flexible tickets at all on the Friday. Eurostar is more like a plane on rails rather than an old-fashioned train ... like many services.

Posted by
1157 posts

Now that you bought the tickets, take a deep breath and enjoy how easy it is to get from London To Paris. I just did it and you seriously only need to get there 30 min before your train leaves. Enjoy!

Posted by
42 posts

Does it make a difference to book EuroStar tickets on eurostar.com or RailEurope.com ?

Posted by
42 posts

I think I just answered my own question. Looks like I can print my tickets at home using RailEurope but don't have this option with Eurostar.com. Prices are the same in each.

Posted by
19 posts

I had the same problem trying to get electronic tickets, mailing them was not an option.
Glad it worked out, happy and safe travels

Posted by
33555 posts

I'm surprised that RailEurope would show you all the discounts available on Eurostar.com.