Please sign in to post.

London to Paris

I am flying into Heathrow airport, landing 630am then heading straight for Paris. Trying to decide if I should take the Eurostar or book a separate flight. Which is easier and how long should I leave between my arrival into London and departure (either by Eurostar or flight)

Posted by
16401 posts

Easiest (and fastest) would be if you can find a flight right from Heathrow. If you have to transfer to a different airport for a flight, it might be just as easy (and more relaxing) to take the Eurostar. Either way, you'll have to leave several hours between[INVALID]I hope someone here knows the answer. When we've had to transfer airports, I've not be comfortable with less than 4 hours between.

Posted by
15251 posts

For this particular situation, I'm going to suggest flying. No need to go through passport control or customs (although you will need to go through security). The flight to Paris is a little over an hour. BA has some from LHR-CDG flights for under $100. It will be a lot easier than going into London and catching the Eurostar. And save time. I don't know when you're going but BA has a flight that leaves at 9:05 AM. (I checked in October and that flight was $98.) You shouldn't have a problem making this flight.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the advice...I am trying to decide if I should just take a carry on luggage so I dont have to go through baggage claim. Would I avoid a trip through customs if I went with carry on only?

Posted by
15251 posts

I would always suggest carrying on, but others would say check it. It can get complicated when it comes to checked luggage. I need to know if you have already purchased your ticket to London and what airline it's on. If not, what airline are you planning on using? Will you try to get a British Airways flight if you decide to fly out of Heathrow?

Posted by
16401 posts

Whether you can avoid going through customs probably depends on what airline you are flying and what terminal you come in to. Even within Terminal 5, flying British Airways, we found we had to go therough secdurity screening (but not customs) when transferring between our overseas and domestic flights.

Posted by
4408 posts

Do Consider that if you miss this second, 'booked separately' flight (not part of original airline itinerary), you'll most likely eat the cost of that ticket. The airline won't be responsible for getting you to Paris.

Posted by
16401 posts

Good point, Eileen. Melissa, if you haven't booked your ticket to London yet, you might want to book the whole trip to Paris on the same ticket for the reaon Eileen mentions. Otherwise, if you already have your ticket to London, allow plenty of time to catch your ownward fllight, including time to account for a possibly late arrival. Heathrow can be daunting to navigate if you aren't familiar with it (and even if you are). The Heathrow webiste gives some minimum travel times betwwen terminals that you need to consider when choosing a connecting flight. You'll need to know which terminal your flight from Ohio comes in to, as well as the terminal for the departing flight.

Posted by
4 posts

I am flying in on Virgin Atlantic and have booked that ticket already. Would most likely use BA to fly to Paris. If I need to check a bag would it be too difficult to book another flight, or still easier than getting into London to catch the eurostar? And how does taking a carry on effect this choice. thanks!

Posted by
15251 posts

Figure on checking a bag since Virgin's carry-on weight limit is just over 13 pounds. Virgin and BA hate each other and will not interline......Even though it means going through passport control, getting your luggage, walking through customs, going from Terminal 3 (Virgin) to Terminal 5 (BA), checking in and going through security....in my opinion it will still be easier than trying to get into London to catch the Eurostar. Now, if for some reason you were able to do only carry-on, it would be very simple. From terminal 3 you go to the airside transfer desk where a bus would take you to Terminal 5. You would have to go through security but that's it. No passport control, no customs.

Posted by
4 posts

thanks for your help. I kind of figured the flight route was easiest overall.

Posted by
262 posts

I am also flying to London on Virgin Atlantic, then taking the Eurostar to Paris. I think it is about $60.00. I enjoy taking the train and don't want to get on another plane. I guess it is just a matter of personal choice. I am leaving from CA and I see that you are leaving from Ohio, much shorter flight, maybe you don't mind getting on another plane???