Please sign in to post.

London to Paris

Last year I took the Chunnel to Paris from London. This year it's more important to save money on that trip. Would it costs less to fly from London or is rail still the best way to go?

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks Nigel, I think I'll take your advice and take the Eurotunnel. Tom

Posted by
32886 posts

You will have to do the research based on your individual requirements. How many of you, kids, where you will be before your trip, time constraints and where you will be after, etc. You did not specify but I assume you are speaking of using Eurostar, the passenger train from St Pancras International to Gare du Nord? We often use Eurotunnel, the drive on - drive off train from Folkestone to Calais - I'm assuming you don't mean that? If you use Eurostar you need to be at St Pancras in the middle of London and easily accessible by 6 tube lines, 7 mainline train companies and a whole passel of bus lines half an hour or a bit more before your train goes. Tickets go up in price the closer you get, never down. When you arrive at Gare du Nord you are in the middle of everything with easy Métro and RER connections and a passel of buses. No (realistic) limit on luggage. If you fly you have to add in the cost and time of getting from where you are to the airport, be it Gatwick, Heathrow, Luton, Stansted, Birmingham International, London City. You need to consider check in time, luggage allowance, and liquids. You also have to consider the cost and time of getting from CDG or Orly to where you want to be. The exception to all of this is Ryanair which, in true Ryanair style, take you to a completely different rural airport. And if you use a budget airline you need to think of all the extra charges such as check in charge, luggage charge, getting a seat charge, sitting together charge, get on the plane first charge, cabin charge, toilet charge and breathing charge (just kidding - except Ryanair). There are way too many permutations for anybody but you to work out. Me? I drive using Eurotunnel, or take the train.

Posted by
1446 posts

Nigel, I was unaware of the Eurotunnel. So, you're able to take a car from England into France? (Sorry to be so naive.) That means that you have to return the same way with your car, right?

Posted by
32886 posts

Hi Sharon I do it all the time (well not as often as I would like but quite often). But note that its my personal vehicle not a rental. For rentals you MUST check. There are two ways to get a car across the Channel, ferry or Eurotunnel. With a ferry you drive to Dover for most but there are many other towns with ferries. You eventually drive on the ferry and park the car, sometimes at interesting angles, and go upstairs to the passenger deck and eat or look out or gamble or buy from the shop. Usually for an hour and a half or so. Some faster, some a lot slower. After you dock you queue up to drive off, then drive up to customs and immigration stations and queue up. Passports checked you drive into Calais, or wherever. By Eurotunnel you get off the M20 in Folkestone, several miles short of Dover. You drive up to an automated kiosk, and by the time your window is down the automatic license plate checker has already put your name up on the screen. Press 2 buttons, pull the mirror hangtag out of the dispenser, roll the window up and drive a short distance to the waiting area. Park and go inside to use the toilets and grab a bite to take back to the car. Wait is usually 20 minutes or less. Drive round to the dispatch ramp passing through immigration, security check, and customs and follow the other cars onto the train. Ground staff will direct you onto the lower train deck or up the ramp to the upper deck. Roll the window part down, engine off, 1st gear, handbrake on. Put the seats back and relax. Eat. Change money. In 10 minutes the train starts, the journey is 35 minutes end-to-end. Put the seat back up, drive off, and you are on the Autoroute in Calais. Easy Squeezy. Again, if renting - check.

Posted by
4408 posts

If you purchase your ticket early enough, your Eurostar trip can cost as little as €42,50, 2nd class one-way.

Posted by
36 posts

Damn Nigel, you are really on top of this. Do you hire yourself out as a guide ? : )

Posted by
32886 posts

Thanks, Tom. Naah, I just travel a lot. I absolutely love sharing my knowledge. This Helpline is a real tonic for me. I still thank Rick for having inspired my wife and me to return to live this side of the Pond - permanently.