Please sign in to post.

London to Gatwick

We'll be in London the last of August. Arriving on the Eurostar at Kings Cross/St. Pancreas station and leaving via Gatwick. Can someone give suggestions as to the best areas to look for low cost accommodations? We are in our early 70s so walking long distances (with 2 carry ons) to the tube etc. would be difficult. Looking for names of areas such as Earls Court, Croydon, etc. Thanks for any advice.

Posted by
8889 posts

Croydon, no way. It is a south London suburb, perfectly pleasant place to live, but nowhere near any tourist attractions.
Virtually anywhere in central London is near a tube station and would be OK.
Trains for Gatwick airport leave from London Victoria station.

Posted by
9109 posts

The area around Kings Cross/St Pancras/Euston has some of the cheapest accommodation in London.
Checkout the Premier Inn Kings Cross, Premier Inn Eurston, Ibis Euston.
There are direct trains from St Pancras to Gatwick.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you so much for the information. I'll definitely check around St. Pancras station. I didn't realize I could get a train from there directly to Gatwick. BTW, in case anyone is interested, this is the last week of a 111 day trip to Europe and the UK. We're driving and only taking 1 carry-on and one day pack each. I've managed to deal with everything else, but London "districts" were giving me a lot of trouble. Lynwes

Posted by
1 posts

When I was in London once I found a nice little boutique hotel on www.booking.com called Trebovir. It looks like they have now changed the name to Grand Hotel London. I stayed there about 3 years ago. It is nothing super fancy but it was much better than some of the other places I stayed in London, for the price that I paid for it, and it is right around the corner from Earl's Cross tube station. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Posted by
980 posts

I would second using booking.com in London. I've used them in the Paddington area and was very happy with the results.

You will do well to stay in the Kings Cross/St. Pancras area. Looking at booking.com I see several hotels for under $150/night for a double. They all seem pretty basic but still safe and tidy.

DJ

Posted by
3843 posts

Trains for Gatwick airport leave from London Victoria station. I would look around Victoria Station. Look at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Victoria, across the street from Victoria Station. I know...sounds like it would be expensive, but not if you look on Booking.com. You may find a great price.

Another area you may want to look at is Bloomsbury, which is four to six blocks south of King's Cross/St. Pancras, but there is a world of difference (in my opinion) in the neighborhood. Bloomsbury is a nice neighborhood, with just the sort of "London-y" feel to it you would probably like. Try the Hotel Russell at Russell Square. Again, see if you can find a bargain price on Booking.com.