Please sign in to post.

London airports

On the news today- BAA, the Spanish company who own all London airports, have been told by the Competition Commission that they must sell Gatwick and Stanstead airports. Speaking as one who lives in the UK, I welcome the decision and hope it leads to improved customer service. Sorry I can't provide a link, but I'm not too techno-savvy; I'm sure someone will be along soon who can do better!

Posted by
2207 posts

Maggie - what an interesting story, wish someone would buy some of the airports I travel in Italy! Here's a few links on the story:

International Herald Trbune

BBC News

NY Times

Thanks for the info. Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
964 posts

Thanks Ron! Sorry to hear some Italian airports also leave a lot to desire.
Gatwick airport is not so bad but Heathrow is awful. Last time I arrived there (June) there was a window held together with duct tape and board, a row of buckets catching leaks from the ceiling (it was raining) one of the moving sidewalks was stuck, and then when you got to the end of all that, there were no signs telling you which way to go next. People were standing around looking really puzzled.

I had flown from Philadelphia, which looked like Buckingham Palace by comparison!

Posted by
805 posts

HOORAY! BAA is proof that a psuedo-monopoly like that needs competition in order to force them to offer quality service.