Please sign in to post.

Livorno to Florence

Is the train from Livorno to Florence safe and reliable? We are coming in on a cruise May 8th. There are 3 of us. How much would a taxi be??

Posted by
6898 posts

Of course it is. Nothing wrong with the train. The train departs Livorno once an hour during the day (usually 11 minutes after the hour). 2nd class fare is 13Euro round trip. The trip takes 1hr-22min. I'm not sure on the taxi fare but Florence is 65 miles from Livorno (130 round trip). There is no way that you can get a taxi for 39Euro round trip at that distance.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks, Larry. Can we walk to train station in Livorno or catch a bus or taxi? Also should we try to buy tickets early or buy at station? Do you know how long it takes to see The Statue of David Museum?

Posted by
283 posts

The David is at the Accademia and is sort of out of the way from central Florence. You can hike from the Florence Train station. Below is a map of the location.

http://www.tickitaly.com/tickets/florence-gallery-map.php

As I remember, the building is not really large. You enter through the front door and walk down a hallway of unfinished statues into the large round room at the end with David in the center. Lots of crowds, though, so the earlier you arrive the better. Also, the website I found above is to prepurchase tickets, so I am not sure if that is needed.

I have ridden the train from Livorno to Florence many times and it is a lovely trip through wine areas and rolling hills. Very safe and easy.

Posted by
6898 posts

I believe that the Livorno train station is less than a 1/2 mile from the cruise terminal. You can walk the distance or if time is important, you can take a taxi. I don't know if there is local bus service.

As for the time needed to see the David, that's up to you. I will tell you that your world will simply stop. The Academia was designed and built to display the David. There are other nice things to see in the Academia but its primarily the David. We were in there for just over an hour.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank You All !!!!!! This has been alot if help.

Posted by
9 posts

Larry, I think all of us should thank you and hire you to be our guide. I have been reading through all the "graffiti" so I don't have to repeat the questions.

One point that was made to us in 2006 was that once at the Livorno Centrale for the train from the port to Firenze, it is very confusing and lots of walking up and down to the ticket counter and the correct side of the platform. What has anyone to say?
We missed Firenze on the last cruise 'cause someone wouldn't get up early!!!and we couldn't leave them behind.

Susan