Please sign in to post.

Layover in Toronto

Hello! I am trying to go to London in August using miles on American. I have an option to fly O'hare-Toronto-Heathrow but the layover in Toronto is only 1.5 hours. I have never been to the Toronto airport. Assuming the flight arrives on time (which I know is a big assumption), is this enough time? I would carry on. Thanks!

Posted by
415 posts

Caveat: I have not done this but here's a link to help you. Input your arrival and departure info and the guide will tell you exactly how to transfer.

http://torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

There are two terminals at Toronto and both have international departures. Assuming you are arriving on American Airlines and departing on a non Star Alliance airline (which I believe you would be since you are flying on points), you will be arriving and departing from the same terminal (Terminal 3).

Unfortunately the set up at Terminal 3 for this type of transfer is much worse than that at Terminal 1. It looks like you will have to clear Canadian customs along with everyone else at Terminal 3, exit customs, re-enter the boarding gate area through normal security and get back to your gate.

I would say it's do-able but a bit tight. Any delay and you would miss your connecting flight.

Posted by
16096 posts

Since you don't say which airline is operating the YYZ-LHR portion of the trip, I'm going to guess it's British Airways. If that's the case, both AA and BA are in terminal 3.

Posted by
792 posts

Thanks for the feedback! Both flights are operated by American Airlines

Posted by
16096 posts

Check again....AA doesn't have flights from Toronto to London.

Just because the flight designation is AA doesn't mean it operates the flight. It's called a codeshare.

When you search for flights, it says who operates the flight.

Posted by
792 posts

oops, my mistake. It is operated by British Airways.

Shirley, thank you for that link. As I thought, it seems like it will be a tight connection for my comfort level. I will figure out an alternative.