Please sign in to post.

Layover at Heathrow

We fly BA Vancouver to Athens with layovers at Heathrow of 7 hours (2 - 9 pm) outbound on April 5, and homeward 10 am - 5 pm on April 16. Has anyone gone into London for a (short) visit? Do you think it is possible/advisable? Any suggestions on what to see - we have been in London before, visited most major sites.)

Posted by
3580 posts

My suggestion is: take the Piccadilli (sp) tube line to Green Park. Exit the Underground and walk from there to: Green Park, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, the art and portrait galleries there, St. Martins in the field (tea or a meal), Leicester Sq., etc. spend 3 or 4 hours this way, then reverse the trip back to Heathrow.

Another possibility would be to take the Heathrow Express or Connect to Paddington Station and traveling by Tube or bus from there.

Posted by
16081 posts

Keep this in mind....

1) Upon Arrival you have to go through Immigration and Customs if you want to "enter" Britain.

2) Travel into London

3) Travel back to Heathrow

4)Heathrow is suggesting getting to the airport 2 hours before your flight for security and check in.

You might get 2 hours in London assuming no delays. Another suggestion is to head for Windsor. Very close by taxi. You'll have time to visit the Castle and walk around a bit.

I would do this on the way back. On the way there, since I don't sleep well on planes, I'd head over to the Yotel in terminal 4. You pay for rooms by the hour. I'd take a nap, a nice hot shower, change clothes and then head to my flight to Athens which is another 3 1/2 hours and will get you in at 2:30 AM. By the time you get through passport control and customs, and get to your hotel, it could be 4 AM.

Posted by
61 posts

It's probably possible, but I agree with the previous poster that you have to watch your time wisely. Last two times through Heathrow I've had minimum of 2 hour layover and needed every bit of it due to baggage, terminal change, security, etc. Doesn't seem like the stress would be worth it.

Posted by
17 posts

I think you will be pretty tired by the time to get to the UK and you probably are best advised to take the time to get some rest, especially if you are starting a tour in Athens the next day. Don't forget, in the UK the sites close at 5 pm, probably last visitor admitted at 4.30.

On the return trip I second the idea of taking a taxi to Windsor. The castle is spectacular,a short walk down the hill and across over the river and walk around Eton - I think you can arrange tours of the school (certainly visit the chapel built in the 1400's). Or just stroll along the river bank and stop at a pub for lunch.

Don't forget security has been ramped up (even though you are returning to Canada) and allow extra time for that (and security has always been a bottleneck at Heathrow).

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for the advice -- Great points were made by all, and I think we will try the yotel at Heathrow. Then we may take the shorter trip to Windsor and Eton on the way home. We appreciate all the help, and the fact that you took the time to answer!!