Please sign in to post.

knitting needles

Has anyone had knitting needles confiscated at security
when returning to the U.S. from Milan?

Posted by
505 posts

Greetings

There's no rule of thumb in Europe because each aiport and airline has it's own set of rules. Thus, it really comes down to the whims of the security folks on the day you are in the airport.

Knitting needles are probably OK, but don't bring anything that you would be upset to leave behind.

Kate

Posted by
1455 posts

My friend brought hers to London (from LA). They were the plastic kind and they allowed her on. But as the other traverler said, don't bring them if you will be sad if lost or taken.

Posted by
23 posts

Also don't leave your project at a place where you cant easily bind off and surender the needles.

My wife had her knitting needles confiscated at the Providence airport during the post 9/11 hysteria. Her work was ruined. She had a jumbled ball of yarn when she arrived.

Also I'm told that wooden needles are less likely to be flagged by the x-ray machine than metal.

Happy Knitting & Traveling

Rick

Posted by
15 posts

2 of my best knitting friends traveled from here to Israel last spring. They brought a variety of needles, but they felt the key was putting the rubber stoppers on the end of the needles and bringing a medallion sort of cutting device that we use (made by the Clover company, I believe) instead of scissors handy. It doesn't look like scissors, so it looks like you left a pretty charm for your necklace in your knitting tools. Hope that helps!