Please sign in to post.

JFK Layover

Hi gang:

We have a 2.5 hour layover at JFK on flight in from CDG for our connection to Cleveland. We booked all through Delta on a single ticket but the flight from CDG is actually Air France. I see that the Air France flight does not arrive at either of the terminals that Delta uses. It also appears that we will have to exit the secured part of the airport and go through security again to get to our connecting Delta flight. Will 2.5 hours be enough to get through passport control and security? If it matters - our arrival time at JFK is 3:55 PM and the connecting flight to Cleveland leaves at 6:30 PM

Posted by
381 posts

We also always fly Delta and it was recommended to us by a friend, who is a retired Delta attendant, never to fly back into the US from Europe using JFK. The reasons you mentioned may well be the reasons why she said to avoid JFK so this last trip to Europe we flew out of JFK but back into Atlanta. I also just learned that Cincinnati is no long a Delta hub for international flights and that is a hub we have used in the past. I know this does not answer your question for this trip but it may help in planning for the future.

Posted by
11728 posts

Hopefully you arrive JFK on time

Your JFK-CLE flt is the last of the day by Delta.

Presumably, as Delta sold this as a single ticket, there is time to make the connection. Otherwise the onus is on them to get you to your destination.

The question no one can truly answer is (a) will you arrive on time at JFK (b) how long will the lines be for the transfer process on the day you arrive.

Have you looked at the on time history for your flights? That may provide insight on you prospect of making the connection

Posted by
3256 posts

You'll also have to go through customs and immigration at JFK. If you checked your luggage, you will have to claim it and pass through customs with it.

Posted by
439 posts

It will be tight. If you buy any liquids at duty free, they will need to be checked going to Cleveland. Is it possible to get a later flight? Some people like tight connections I like to have time for the unexpected.

Posted by
11728 posts

A later flight out of JFK does not look promising.

All I could find is an American flight at 7PM that goes to CLE via CLT arriving CLE around midnight and a 9PM flight that wanders about the East coast before arriving CLE sometime the next day (approx 9AM)

Posted by
2153 posts

Hi herron, we took that flight in Sep 2016 and didn't have any problems. It's a bit hectic getting through security, immigration, and customs (we had Global Entry so it was a little easier), and the signage isn't great. We followed the crowds and were at the gate about 45 minutes before boarding. I remember that I had time for a cup of coffee. Just be sure you have your boarding passes ready and nothing questionable in your carry on luggage so you don't get pulled out of line.

Posted by
11502 posts

Having Global Entry makes a huge difference at JFK when going through passport control and customs.
You would have to go through sexurity again regardless of terminal or airport.

Posted by
437 posts

I recommend you look at the airport map to see how to change terminals.

Delta provides this map

It may go very smoothly if the passport line is short. And your flight is on time.

Posted by
11294 posts

On a recommendation from this forum, I just used the Mobile Passport app arriving at JFK on May 22. It was at Terminal 7, rather than Terminal 1 as you will be using, but I could not believe how fast it was! Even taking some time to ask which lines to use, and taking some more time to get my passport out twice (you need your passport as well as your phone, for both the immigration step and the customs step), I still breezed through. So, if you don't have Global Entry, use this app (available for both Apple and Android).

All the other advice you have been given is accurate. You will arrive at Terminal 1, go through passport control, pick up luggage, then go through customs. You then follow signs to Airtrain, and take the one going to Howard Beach or to Jamaica (take whichever one comes first); do not take the one on the opposite platform that just goes to the airline terminals themselves. If you are confused, there should be a uniformed person to ask for help - don't hesitate to get their help. You then go to either Terminal 2 or Terminal 4 depending on where you next flight departs from (do find this out in advance). You then go into the terminal, go through security, and go to your gate.

Two and a half hours will work, IF everything goes correctly and there are no holdups. Of course, that can't be predicted.