Please sign in to post.

Jet Lag

I am blessed as some of my 37 year old Friends get bad Jet Lag when they travel. I am very fortunate that I can operate on 4 hours of sleep if need be but I generally get 6-9 hours of good sleep . This is what i do to prevent Jet Lag

I take a flight leaving SFO at 6 PM and connect via Istanbul arriving Tel Aviv at midnight. On the first flight I try to get 8-10 hours of sleep, Then I stay up until 1-2 AM TLV Time. Before my flights I take Melatonin starting 5 days before and on the plane 30 minutes before I want to sleep. I really don't do the go to bed an hour earlier as I just listen to my body.

On the day of travel I do light stretching and take a walk. I always like getting to the airport early to avoid any stresses and go to the lounge before the flight . I will adopt a High Carb dinner the night before to help with sleep. In the lounge I'll have a cocktail or Whiskey. On the flight I'll drink some Wine too with water as well. Every body is different.

I bring along an airline amenity kit just in case one is not provided with a good eyeshade, socks , toothbrush and toothpaste. Generally for the first part of the flight I stay awake and enjoy a movie. When I go to sleep I put on my noise cancelling headphones and good music! I'll then get up and walk around the cabi to get a snack and something to drink.

After this I'll have the Breakfast and then stay up until 1-2 AM local time in Tel Aviv. I enjoy a nice shower at the Istanbul Lounge. Turkish Air offered blocking the middle seat on all flights for $544 so I will lift up the leg rest and use the middle seat's space to help me sleep. I also love having the map on on one TV and a movie on my own TV. Its totally worth it to purchase an Extra Seat. United charges a lot for Premium Economy and I like to be towards the front of the plane.

I also like bringing my own movie snacks like Milk Duds, Popcorn that I buy from the Farmers Market and make my own Snack Mix and trail mix. I will have this stash in case of an emergency too.

Anything to make the flight easier is fine by me! Hope these tips help.

Posted by
7356 posts

It’s great that you’ve got a good strategy, and get such successful results. As I get older, jet lag seems to be more of a problem. I can try some of your suggestions next time. Thanks!

Posted by
3845 posts

I admire people like you. My work demands and my poor organizational skills usually result in me finishing packing at 2 am the night before departure, working on vast amounts of work stuff during my layover in Atlanta, and injecting Red Bull into my veins upon arrival in Europe*. I'm looking forward to repeating this bad habit later this week.

*hyperbole. Please do not inject Red Bull into your veins.

Posted by
7356 posts

Dave, what about a shot of espresso?

Posted by
3110 posts

I find that I don't get bad jet lag when flying East to Europe from here on the West coast of N. America.
I've decided it's because I am so thrilled to be going somewhere, that I just want to get out and about to see and do everything when I get there, and not waste a minute.
I don't sleep well at the best of times at home, and it's the same in Europe.
I don't drink alcohol on a flight, and try and drink water every time it is offered.
I also bring my own snacks for a flight: carrots, grapes, nuts and raisins, granola bars.
I do take "No-Jet-Lag", a herbal supplement, from New Zealand I believe, available at health food shops.
You take it before a flight, then every two hours in flight, then one after you arrive.
No idea if it helps me! ; but after I check in to my accommodation, have a shower and some food, I generally feel ok.
Coming home is a different story.
I'm a zombie, going to bed at 6-7 pm for at least a week after a big trip.