Please sign in to post.

Italy train travel

I booked train travel from Siena to Rome through RailEurope and the tickets have been sent to me. Nowhere on the tickets does it say what train company we are travelling on. There are two legs: Siena to Chiusi and Chiusi to Rome. The Chiusi to Rome ticket has a train number (587). Can I assume there is only one train line and one train 587 travelling to Rome? With a very short layover (15 mins), how do we find the correct train? And what about the trains from Siena to Chiusi? Is this leg just open--use the ticket and hop on any train? Thank you very much.

Posted by
1994 posts

I've not found RailEurope to be very useful website (and FYI, if you need to book other tickets, they are more expensive than booking yourself with Trenitalia). You're almost certainly traveling on Trenitalia. To confirm, either go to Treniitalia website to check train numbers, or I find Deutsch Bahn website to be more user-friendly (although you can't buy the tickets there). If you see an assigned seat and train time, then you have a reservation and need to make that train. If not, just hop on the next available train and find a seat in the right class. If you have 15 minutes, be at the door, luggage in hand, as the train slows down, and move quickly. You should be fine. If the transfer track isn't obvious, head down the platform with the flow until you find a train employee to ask for the track. I've found them to be helpful (although not always fluent in English, their English is ALWAYS better than my Italian; just keep the question simple). If there are stairs to get to the other platform and that's a problem for you with luggage, you'll almost always find a tiny elevator at one end of the platform.

Posted by
6898 posts

Cathy, you will be on Trenitalia trains for your entire journey. RailEurope is a broker. I see that you will be departing Siena on Regionale train 6911 at 12:15 for Chiusi. You change trains to an Intercity train (585) that departs at 13:45. You have 15 minutes to change trains. It's not magic - I can see this on the Trenitalia train website. As for finding your train, the destination shown on the engine is the final destination for that particular run. It may not necessarily be Chiusi. But in your case, it should say Chiusi-Chianciano Terme for train 6911. Your second train should say Roma. Next, there should be a TV monitor in the Siena train station that shows the departure time and Binario number (track number). You should see the 6911 departure. In addition, each Trenitalia train station has a paper schedule posted with information on every train departing it's station. This information is listed by departure time. You need to find this schedule. Then, scan down to 12:15 and look at the run. The line will show every stop the 12:15 departure train makes. Just make sure you see Chiusi as the final destination. At Chiusi, you should see a TV monitor that shows the arriving and departing trains. You should see train 585 to Roma on the monitor along with the Binario number (Track number).

Posted by
3580 posts

In Italy monitors are used in the train stations announcing departures (PARTENZAS) and arrivals (ARRIVAS). Be careful to refer to the correct one. I have gotten on the wrong train after reading the wrong board. That is an inconvenient mistake to make!

Posted by
23573 posts

.....If not, just hop on the next available train and find a seat in the right class....... That could get you into trouble in a hurry. All trains in Italy EXCEPT Regional trains require a seat reservation therefore if you ticket lists a train number, car number, and seat number you have a reservation for that particular train. If you miss it, you need a new ticket with a seat reservation. You cannot just get on the next train. If you do not have a seat reservation it is an open ticket good only on a Regional train. That ticket must be validated prior to getting on the train. Failure to do so, can result in a huge fine on the spot - if caught. So validate it (time stamp) in a yellow or gray box and hop on the next available REGIONAL train.

Posted by
32329 posts

Cathy, The others have provided great information. You will definitely be travelling via Trenitalia, the state-owned railway. A few points to add..... Could you confirm your date of travel and departure time from Siena? The only solution I could find with Train #587 was a departure from Siena to Chiusi at 13:57 on Regionale #11761, a 22 minute layover and then departure on Intercity #587 at 15:45 to Roma Termini (time 3H:23M). For travel on the Regionale train, in most cases you MUST validate your ticket prior to boarding the train on the day of travel, or you'll risk a hefty fine which will be collected on the spot! However as you bought from Rail Europe, the ticket may state that it's been pre-validated, so be sure to check that. For travel on the Intercity train, reservations are compulsory, so you MUST only board the train shown on your ticket (ie: IC 587) and sit in the assigned car no. and seat no. If you board any other train, again you may be fined on the spot! You'll need to take a Taxi to get from Siena to the station. I'd suggest asking your hotel the day before travel to pre-book that for you. When you arrive at the station, check the electronic board to find the train number and track number for your train. You may have to walk downstairs to a sottopassagio (tunnel) to reach the correct platform. When you arrive at Chiusi, again check the electronic board to determine the track no. for IC 587. You could also verify that against the paper charts, which will be in a large display case (about 8' x 5') with a plexiglass cover. There will be two charts (usually on opposite sides), one for arrivals (Arrivi) and one for departures (Partenze). The electronic board always has the most current information. Happy travels!