Please sign in to post.

Italy Train Tickets

Going to Italy in September and traveling for 3 weeks by train. Is it better to buy train tickets ahead, here at home online or just wait until there and buy them a couple days ahead of travel? Thank you to anyone who knows what's best.
Jim

Posted by
23566 posts

First you might do a search here and read some of the many prior postings on this subject. Second, there is some price advantage to purchasing ahead BUT the Italian train site will not accept Am credit cards. So most folks will hit the first ticket office and some discount will still be available. Train tickets in Italy are very reasonable even without the discounts.

Posted by
19240 posts

You should get your tickets when you are in Italy. It's pretty safe getting them the day of travel. Safer is getting them over there a few days ahead of travel. The prices that way are the same as shown on the Trenitalia website, but Trenitalia, apparently, does not accept US credit cards for online purchase. US ticket resellers, like RailEurope, charge too much.

Posted by
1 posts

Has anybody tried to purchase train tickets over the phone for travel in Italy from USA? Do they take USA credit cards?

Posted by
138 posts

I followed the advice here and on other forums and bought my train tickets (Rome-Florence and Florence-Venice)after I got here a few days ago at the Rome train station. (Took a taxi to the train station to do so.)

The kiosks were very very easy and straightforward, took my credit card with no problems,and could choose English as the language, so no confusion there. The prices were the same as when I checked Trenitalia online months ago.

Was pleasantly surprised at how nice the Rome train station was, by the way. Much nicer, more modern and efficient than the airport in my experience.

Posted by
1158 posts

I would not buy online because you might change your plans.
The ticket machines are very easy to use. I only used cash, but there shouldn't be a problem to pay by credit card. You can buy the tickets right before you leave, but remember that some train stations might be crowded, but the line goes fast.
And also don't forget to stamp your ticket before you get on the train. You have I think 6 hours to use it.