Please sign in to post.

Italy Train Ticket Error Code: 406 "Enough seats not available"

We are trying to buy train tickets for northern Italy for mid-September and many of the routes come up with "Error Code: 406 Enough seats not available." The first journey we are looking at involves two regional trains and one intercity train. Could they be sold out for September already? Help!! Thanks for any assistance on this!!

Posted by
20980 posts

Since the regional trains are all unreserved, try getting a ticket for the IC train alone. You can't buy regional tickets until 7 days out, so just buy them when you are there.

Posted by
23573 posts

No, relax. As stated you cannot buy Regionale on line till seven days in advance. HOWEVER do not buy Regionale tickets on line. Regionale trains never sell out. There is no advantage to purchasing on line AND the on line ticket comes pre-validated which means that the ticket must be used within a certain time window. If you buy a Regionale ticket at the station it can be used anytime within a 60 day period. Regionale trains are like a bus. No reserve seats - just get on and go AFTER you have validated (time stamped) your ticket in one of the blue, yellow boxes in the station. Watch for locals doing that. If you cannot find a seat you stand till one becomes available after the next stop.

You can get discounted tickets for the IC but that locks you into a schedule. Train in Italy rarely if even sell out. A trains are frequent so it would be extremely unusual if two trains in a row with sold out.

Posted by
168 posts

I had the same error also Ray when I first tried to buy my tickets. I believe what I did was to try buying our tickets as a group, if that didn't work, I tried buying them one by one, which I believed worked. Just to note, remember you don't have to register to get tickets, just hit the non-register button when entering your info. Hope it works and good luck.