Please sign in to post.

Italian train travel

I have a trip planned to northern Italy in April. I will use train travel between Milan-Venice-Florence-Milan. On a trip several years ago, I traveled round trip between Rome and Florence and it was very crowded and I was concerned about my luggage. I am an older woman with a fairly large suitcase. My question is whether it would pay to travel first class (I have always gone second class in other parts of Europe) to have more room to keep my luggage with me. Any help is appreciated!

Posted by
16 posts

Hi Mary, if your travel dates were a bit further out I would suggest searching trenitalia for cheap 1st class fares, you can some trips for the same price as 2nd class, but it's probably too late now. First class is better but we have turned up at a station to find the carriage number on our ticket did not match any on the train! So we just sat in empty seats in the next carriage. On another trip there was someone sitting our seats, so again we just took the nearest free seats. They are less crowded, but not always a better option. If you can be amongst the first on the train you can bag a strategic seat with a good view of the luggage rack.
My other suggestion would be to try and reduce your luggage. I am an absolute fan of Ricks packing method, although I usually add a few more things. If you had say a small suitcase then you could keep it with you near or under the seat.
My other comment is that you may find the trains less crowded in April than later in the season so it may not be as bad as you expect.
Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
8309 posts

I watched as my poor father hauled my mother's 45 lb. suitcases all over the world until he was 80 years old.
We have lived with Rick Steves' packing list for years--with some minor changes.
Our family rules are that (1) Everyone handles their own bags and (2) you have to be able to haul them for 2 miles minimum.

Traveling lighter is good.

Posted by
11613 posts

If you can reduce the size of your fairly large suitcase, you will be happier. I use a 20" rolling carryon plus a Civita daybag (which seems to magically always hold one more thing). You may find it easier to handle two smaller bags (one over your shoulder, or on your back if it's packed with lightweight items), or a rolling bag that has a companion piece that slips over the handles securely (you can remove that and put it under your feet or on the rack overhead).

There are seats in second class on most trains that are back-to-back, with a triangular space in between the rows for luggage. A 24" suitcase will fit if you put it on its side.

Posted by
16895 posts

Several years ago, you might have taken a train that did not require seat assignments, but all the trains you're likely to take on this trip are newer, faster, and assign seats at the time that you purchase tickets. Luggage space is similar in all classes, but first or business class does have fewer seats and people. The fast trains only make a few stops, so there's not much commotion of people coming and going. I still support packing light, due to all the places you'll handle your bags.

Posted by
32330 posts

Mary,

As Laura mentioned, you'll likely find the high speed trains are much more comfortable, and I find that second class is perfectly comfortable. You may find it helpful to have a look at this excellent website.....

http://seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm#.VvRIdD8x_9I

Scroll down to see a video of the FrecciaRossa in operation. Larger luggage items should be left on the racks at one end of each car, with smaller carry-on size items placed on the rack above your seat. Be sure to watch any luggage left on the rack during the trip, to ensure it doesn't "disappear" or that some moron doesn't toss it into the foyer as he wants to make room for his bike (I've had that happen).

Posted by
4765 posts

For entertaining looks at Italian trains, try Tim Parks.

Also it might be OK if your suitcase is big IF it's not also heavy. Then you are doomed.

It does have wheels, doesn't it?