Please sign in to post.

Is a two hour layover in Lisbon enough time?

My husband and are traveling through Lisbon on our way to Italy this week and I'm concerned our layover is too short. We arrive at 10:50 Friday and depart at 12:50. My understanding is that since we are arriving from a non Schengen country we will need to go through passport control in Lisbon. I have only ever flown direct so i am not sure what to expect. Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

Posted by
4586 posts

You may wish to read this state department warning that I received yesterday via email:

https://pt.usembassy.gov/alert-u-s-embassy-lisbon-portugal-june-13-2022/

"Unscheduled strikes by inspectors from the Portuguese Immigration and Border Service (SEF) at Lisbon’s Humberto Delgado International Airport, and other staffing issues, have caused delays of four hours or more for passengers arriving from outside of the Schengen area (including from the United States) to clear passport control."

One of our travel group members reported long waits (hers was 3 hours) when leaving Lisbon for the US.

Posted by
11155 posts

Apart from the staffing issues at LIS , a critical issue is, are you flying on a single ticket ?

Posted by
4 posts

Joe - yes we are flying on a single ticket and in and out of terminal 1.

Posted by
4586 posts

The traveler who had reported her 3 hour experience said that part of the problem was that people with short layovers kept jumping ahead in line and there was nothing stopping them. So their problem got worse until they, too, were in a time bind.

It sounds like it was a bit of an every man for himself type of situation.