Please sign in to post.

Is $3800 for BA Business Class a decent fare SEA-LHR-VCE?

I'm taking my parents to Italy in August (they picked the dates) and they want to fly business class. I've been to Italy a hand full of times and have a good feel for economy ticket prices, but I've never priced business class. We are pretty much locked in to a certain British Airways flight because my mom is disabled and the shortest overall flight time is important. We are flying SEA-LHR-VCE round trip. The price has been steady at roughly $3,800 per person (dipped to $3,400 for a day in December). The question is, should I buy at current prices or keep waiting? Does anyone have history on what BA business class prices are when on sale for this route? I realize there is no guarantee and no crystal ball, but I'd sure appreciate the input of those with knowledge on this topic. Thank you.

Posted by
2527 posts

Likely, not many regulars here fly business class using personal funds. Probably most that fly business class do so via employers travel funds or utilize accumulated mikes. It's a grand way to get to Europe.

Posted by
16254 posts

I believe the "locked" means that BA is their best choice, considering her mother's disability,becauseof the flight times.

Lisa, what I can tell you is that we always fly British Airways from Seattle to Europe in Business Class, but we use miles. When I have dared to check the price, it has always been over $6000. That $3800 is a sale price and very good for Seattle to Venice and back.

BUT---important caveat. The daily flight from Seattle (BA 48) arrives at Heathrow too late for a flight to Venice from Heathrow, so a change of airports to Gatwick is required. Do NOT do this. On some days, BA operates an earlier flight, BA 52, which might arrive at Heathrow early enough to make the Late morning LHR to VCE flight. Make sure those line up before booking.

If they do not, I suggest you fly into a different airport that is served by LHR flights, such as Milan, or Rome. We use Zurich but that may not fit with your plans.

Posted by
16254 posts

I wanted to get that information out there but have more to add. Again, I would say that is an excellent price, but my experience in checking the price is limited. It does appear to me to be a sale price.

Using miles, we still end up paying almost $1800 each RT, because BA imposes surcharges on award tickets that are quite high. So your $3800 does not look all that bad. And the flight itself is very nice, with the flat-bed seats, fast track through security and immigration, and other perks.

I would be happy to answer more questions about the BA flight you have. You are a very nice daughter to do this for your parents!

Posted by
492 posts

Lisa, we fly BA business class yearly SFO-LHR-VCE/return. $3800 is pretty good. We paid ~$4200 for our current trip and that's after a 10% discount by using Chase BA credit card. I believe you can also save $400 if you book through AARP. We have paid as much as ~$5700. On the other hand, BA might offer a better sale. Who knows?

Also, be aware that BA is a foreign company and you may be charged a foreign transaction fee by your CC company.

Posted by
492 posts

The flight from SFO also arrives at LHR after the flight to VCE has gone. Since we do not like changing airports, we stay the night at the Sofitel Hotel at Terminal 5 for the connecting flight the following morning.

Posted by
16254 posts

I just did a test and the BA 52 flight does line up with a flight to VCE from Heathrow, so that will work. I didn't check which days it goes, other than Monday's. It is usually 4x a week. It is a 777, while BA 48/49 (which they can take on the return) is back to using a 747.

The price in Business Class for the dates I checked (August 14-August 29) was $3500.

Posted by
166 posts

You are right Lola about the reasons we have chosen BA and this flight in particular, which include 180 degree lie flat seats and overall time in the air on BA #0052 & BA0578 outbound, BA0579 & BA0049 on the return. This perspective on prices helps a ton, thank you all! My parents are getting the business class tickets and my sister and I will buy economy which are currently around $1,500 apiece. Higher than I normally pay but I usually go in May and I think the prices are just higher for Aug/Sept. We leave 8/25 and return 9/9. I'm also wondering whether to wait on the economy tickets so if anyone has history on that also it would be great. Thanks again!

Posted by
2186 posts

I think that's a pretty good price. I've followed BA business class prices for a couple of years and this year, so far, seems to be lower. Flights that terminate at LHR are substantially higher than this. I've been waiting to see if BA will renew the deal with AARP that would knock $400 off the business class fare, but as of last week, travel had to be completed by March.

Have a great trip.

Posted by
2622 posts

Given that the LHR connection is tight, have you looked at Condor? They should be less than the $3400. I usually pay $1100 for Premium Economy with them and their business class is a bout $2000. The seats are not 180 lie flat - they're 170, I believe so it's not as luxurious but I'm still always pretty jealous of it from my seat in Premium Economy.

Would this work for your mom? Condor does nonstop from SEA to both Frankfurt and Munich and then you could catch a flight to Venice from there. Condor can usually sell you a single ticket - they fly to a lot of places in Europe.

Posted by
1803 posts

Lisa,

As others have noted the $3,800 fare does seem pretty reasonable.

I don't believe that BA offers a true business class seat on all it's intraeuropean flights. Its just economy class with the middle seat blocked off. If this is important for your mom then please check the LHR - VCE leg to confirm what type of seating they have.

I've been fortunate enough to fly premium cabin on a few long haul flights. I find the new pod style seats to be a little confining when in the fully reclined position. Probably not an issue if you can sleep on the flight, but potentially an issue if your mom has mobility issues. Also seat controls may be placed in such a fashion that you have to get up somewhat to use them.

Finally , that's a pretty sizable sum that you're spending just on air fare. IF you pay off you credit card bills every month, you may want to investigate getting a new card to get the sign up bonus. Financing fees will eat up any potential benefits so be careful.

Posted by
11156 posts

$3800 for a RT Business Class ticket to Europe from US west coast is very reasonable. I would book it.

Posted by
291 posts

If you are a memer of AARP, or your parents, British Airways states it gives a discount of $400 per person for Business/Club class. You need to log in to the AARP website, then click on the BA link. If not a member, it may be worth the $16 membership fee to join. I just checked and a non-stop flight SEA to LHR, then onto VCE was $3702.

Posted by
166 posts

Thank you everyone! We bought our tickets today, yahoo! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice.