Please sign in to post.

International Drivers License

Doe it make sense to get an International Drivers License for 2 weeks in France?

Posted by
8293 posts

If you are from N. America, it is the law in France to have one, so, yes, it does make sense. It costs less than $30, so why not conform to the law?

Posted by
23267 posts

Technically it is not a license but is referred to as a permit. It is only a multi-language translation of your current license so that an officer can quickly tell that it is a valid license. If you plan on renting a vehcile, get it. There are ways around it depending on the country but this is the easiest way. Some will say that they have never had a need for it but in an earlier posting here someone nearly had their rental vehicle impound because they did not have the permit. Yes, it makes sense.

Posted by
2448 posts

You can get the permit at your local AAA, whether or not you're a member. You also need to take your driver's license to France.

Posted by
37 posts

My AAA also took the passport photo. They were very efficient. Also gave a good rate for Euros if you get more than 200.

Posted by
2111 posts

You also need passport photos to get an IDP

My AAA office is a one stop shop. They take the needed photos as well. Check with them before getting photos somewhere else.

And yes, the IDP is required.

Posted by
23267 posts

....Also gave a good rate for Euros if you get more than 200. ..... Check very carefully. The last time I inquired about Euro their exchange rate was nearly 11% over the interbank rate. That is not a good rate and is worse than many banks.

Posted by
27112 posts

I, too, would be shocked to find a good rate on euros at AAA. One way or another they're going to cover their costs (which will be high, given no economies of scale) and make enough of a profit that it's worth their while to deal with currency exchange. The profit may come from either a poor exchange rate or a service charge, or both.

Posted by
11179 posts

Does it make sense to get an International Drivers License for 2 weeks in France?

Only if you plan on driving

Posted by
4518 posts

If you are from N. America, it is the law in France to have one

Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick licenses are in French.

it is only a multi-language translation of your current license

No, it is not a translation.

Posted by
11156 posts

It will take a little over $20 and about twenty minutes to get your IDP. It is good for a year.

Posted by
1025 posts

When the officer pulls you over and asks for your driving papers, and then tries to figure out what your Nevada Driver's License actually say, and then asks you in French if you have any other papers, you'll wish you had the IDP.

Posted by
220 posts

Get the permit. We have driven several times in Europe and have been stopped at road checkpoints at the most unusual places. Police do not necessarily understand English so the IDP was essential. As others have said, it is inexpensive and the law. Why take a chance.

Posted by
32752 posts

It is a translation - yes - but it is not just a translation. It also verifies the validity of your license, and gives a common format for the information and what types of vehicle you are authorized to drive.

Yes, unless you want to try to get an notarized translation of your license by one of the few sources acceptable to the French government, it is law that you must have one if you are from North America.

None of your other posts have ever hinted at where you are from - that makes a difference regarding France.

Of course, if nobody in your party is driving (I see that was an earlier question) then you don't need one.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey edina1
yes it makes absolute sense to get and IDP, which is needed for ALL drivers. like nigel mentions, don't know where you are from, but if from USA or Canada get it at AAA/CAA for $25 + 2 passport photos or let them take pictures (receive same day). heard a few stories that when stepping up to car rental desk, asked for IDP, didn't have, they did not get their car. others will tell you they have had no problem. when the time comes when you do need it, will you be short on sherlock?
you've spent this much money on a fabulous trip, spend that extra $25 and have peace of mind.
happy travels aloha

Posted by
540 posts

The international drivers permit is technically NOT required in France. However, everyone strongly suggests that you have one.

We got one at the AAA, and were never asked for it when we were just in France. I guess it's good insurance to have, for $20.

Posted by
9 posts

Just a FYI, when you go to AAA to get your international driver's license your US license has to be good for a year. I just went to get my IDP , we are going to Europe in Oct. my NY license expires in Jan. 2020. They would not accept it, had to renew my license early (you all know what fun DMV is) . I'm so glad I didn't wait till the last minute to go, as it will take another week to receive my new one.

Posted by
4518 posts

an IDP is exactly a translation

If you’d seen one, you would see that is nothing like a translation.

Posted by
822 posts

Yes, Tom, I had one when I was stationed in Spain no less. Regardless, I'm quoting the AAA site.

Posted by
1221 posts

My AAA office is a one stop shop.

AAA also offers notary service and I live in a state where a notary can perform a marriage (Florida). So I'll joke about how you really can do a wedding and then booking the honeymoon cruise over your lunch hour if you really want to.

Posted by
4518 posts

Regardless, I'm quoting the AAA site.

Who sells them for a 100% profit and is the only authorized seller. Not exactly impartial, and the last site I would use for reference.

I had one when I was stationed in Spain

Then if you still have it you can take it out and plainly see that it is not a translation.

Post which page(s) your weight, height, and eye color are listed in the IDP. And show me on your license where your country of birth is listed. It's not a translation. It's nothing like a translation.

Posted by
4156 posts

From the AAA website linked above: "Your IDP is a valid form of identification in 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information. It translates your identification information into 10 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don't."

My only gripe about the IDP is its large size. One thing I like about it is that the the driver's picture is usually more current than a passport or driver license one.

I don't get one anymore because I don't drive in Europe anymore. AAA and CAA are the legitimate providers for IDPs in the US and Canada.

Posted by
8889 posts

"From the AAA website linked above: Your IDP is a valid form of identification in 150 countries worldwide"

They are wrong there, it is not a valid form of ID in any European country, the only valid ID for non-European visitors is their passport.
What it does do, is certify and validate your foreign licence. It is like getting a certified copy of a document.
It also additionally translates your licence.

Without an IDP (or a certified translation in the case of France), your licence is invalid. You would be driving without a valid licence, a major offence if the police ever stop you.
Of course you could argue: "I've been driving around for xx years, and I have never been stopped by the police and asked to show my licence, therefore I don't need one . . . ."

Posted by
11179 posts

If you are a temporary visitor in France, you may drive with a valid U.S. (State) driver's license. In addition to having your U.S. driver's license, visitors are advised (but not required) to carry an International Driving permit, or attach aFrench translation to their U.S. driver's license.

The post by Francis can be a bit misleading. Technically correct that an IDP is not required, but a passport does not satisfy the requirement to have French translation

An IDP is the easiest way to be in compliance with the law

Posted by
4518 posts

Just adding that FOR FRANCE there’s a disconnect between law and practice. No US/Canadian/Australian/NZ car renter has ever been required to shown an IDP, or suffered fines or legal consequences for not having one. (If they have, they’ve done a great job of concealing it and there must be vast conspiracy keeping incidents off the internet). And it’s not recommended for France on the Rick Steves driving page. Travel forums are full of admonishments that this is a necessity, but they are not coming from actual experiences.

Posted by
927 posts

There is no requirement to have a translation in French. I said you have to have the passport because that is your only valid ID in France. So you have to have that. An IDP is not an ID. Its only a translation of your drivers licence, not an ID, and it is not required. Other countries made it clear legality that you had to have a certificated DL translation, with you: France is not one those counties.

I know a world traveler that would be even with Rick's travels, and maybe better, in the places he has traveled to, and he has driven cars all over the world and never bought an IDP, ever, or said it was ever a problem. And he has had accidents and speed fines and all the other stuff,.....they never asked for the IDP.

Posted by
32752 posts

Rick's travels, and maybe better, in the places he has traveled to, and he has driven cars all over the world and never bought an IDP, ever, or said it was ever a problem. And he has had accidents and speed fines and all the other stuff,.....they never asked for the IDP.

How do you know that? Do you go around with him when these things happen? Are you an employee?

Posted by
4518 posts

Francis,

First off an IDP is not a translation.

Second, in practice in France there is no need for an IDP/translation for English licenses. But like the law that says everyone must always carry a national ID in public, the law does require an IDP / translation as linked above.

Posted by
927 posts

My issue with IDPs is that I have a stack of them since the ones issued from AAA are only good for one year even though my Oregon Licence is unchanged for 8 years at a time. I always get IDPs to be squeaky clean, and if i find a need to drive in another country, but this adds up. I'm into IDPs for $280 dollars over the course of 16 years. My wife is into them for $280 also. Thing is, it has never been clarified as to if I only needed two IDPs , issued after the new issues of my licence, or that the expiration date set by AAA had any validity, in a legal sense, with the authorities in the countries I was traveling in. Lets include the costs of traveling with a partner that might also be driving - her licence needed to be renewed every two years in Washington State, till she moved to Oregon. Since the driving is shared, this is sort of a crazy, needless expense to me. . I think AAA is to blame with their silly 1 year validation. It Should be for the duration of the issued local licence. To be clear, an IDP is not a drivers' license, or a form of legal ID. It IS only a sanctioned translation of an Origin Counties' DL. That is ALL it is. And is NOT, legally, required for people spending less than 90 days in France. If you can site actual French Law, proving me to be incorrect here, I would love to have a link to it. :)

Posted by
4518 posts

The link is under Eric’s post about 7 up, look under “court séjour.”

Posted by
927 posts

If you can site actual French Law, proving me to be incorrect here, I would love to have a link to it. :)

Posted by
3519 posts

You are spending thousands of dollars to go to Europe. Why the balk at $20 for the IDP?

As to why it is valid for only one year: that is part of the original treaty that created the IDP which went into effect right after WW II. Future updates have extended the validity to be up to 3 years or until the license expire, whichever is first, but AAA has not changed their practice and left it at one year.

Not having one when requested by the police will result in a very large fine, probably a long delay while the ticket is issued, and possibly you car being impounded since you are technically driving without a license if you do not have the IDP. And contrary to what Tom states, I'm sure there have ben people at one time or another who have run into that one police officer in France who goes by the book and has fined impounded or otherwise delayed an American tourist who did not have an IDP to show when demanded.

Maybe it is just my history of interaction with the police who were not the most fun people to deal with, but if I am told I need to have a specific document with me to do something, I am going to have it. And until I am told by an official government representative that it is no longer required I will continue to carry it. It is just one less thing to worry about. Will I get pulled over and asked for the document, or will a car rental agent ask to see it (more reports of this happening have been appearing here)? Probably not. Mainly because I rarely drive anything anywhere in Europe. But I am prepared if it happens.

Posted by
4518 posts

And contrary to what Tom states, I'm sure there have ben people at one time or another who have run into that one police officer in France who goes by the book and has fined impounded or otherwise delayed an American tourist who did not have an IDP to show when demanded.

Why would you be sure of something with no supporting data, experience, or evidence?

Also, why care about something the French don’t care about?

Comment: OP has probably already left for France.

Posted by
927 posts

Well, people bulk abut the dynamic exchange rate. then blow 26 dollars on an IDP they don't need. I'm not getting another one. I figure the translation is still good and i'll just use the last old one even if it is out of date by AAA standards. It is an authorized translation, and you only ever needed to get one. Its not up to the AAA to disqualify the translation after just one year.

Posted by
650 posts

An Oregon drivers lisence is required to drive in Oregon. To get a licence I must get insurance. It's very expensive. I have never been stopped by the police in Oregon. So I'm out thousands of dollars in wasted Oregon driver's licenses and insurance policies. . . Oh, wait, I'm just following the law and the consequences of not following it if I were caught would be catastrophic. So I guess the license and insurance are a good purchase.

In that light $30 bucks a year to drive abroad sounds like a good deal.

Posted by
3519 posts

Fine, do what makes you happy.

I do hope that anyone who was asked for their IDP, whether they have it with them or not, does report that here along with the total experience.

And we probably ended up chasing the OP aways with the intensity of the discussion. :-)

Posted by
4535 posts

There is SOOO much mis-information in this thread. IDP threads always bring out those that want to convince the world that it is a scam or waste of money.

The IDP is a validation of your legal drivers license. Foreign authorities cannot be expected to know how to recognize whether your state license is valid or not. The new Real ID law is making US state licenses more clear and consistent, but previously it could be very confusing. Illinois used to just give you a sticker to paste on the back to renew, even though the printed expiration date on the front stayed the same. It used to cause confusion for me and yes, rental agents asked to see my IDP in order to clarify if my license was valid.

The IDP also provides some translation of key items in your license. This is helpful if a rental agent or police officer is not proficient in English. Usually it is not a problem, but not always.

You will rarely have to show your IDP, even if stopped. But if you do not have one and it is legally required, you can be fined.

Greece, for one, is a country in which most mainstream rental agencies will not rent you a car if you do not have an IDP, which is required by Greek law.

AAA (in US) and CAA (in Canada) are the only legally authorized providers of the IDP. This is per US and Canadian law. Neither AAA or CAA invented the IDP and they charge a nominal fee for providing the service.

Posted by
4518 posts

There is SOOO much mis-information in this thread. IDP threads always bring out those that want to convince the world that it is a scam or waste of money.

It also brings out the stories about possible jail time (see my DL / IDP thread in General Europe) or of being out tens of thousands of euros in lost insurance coverage, without evidence (although the Romania story seems credible). I don't care if people want to spend time and money on an IDP, but other people sure care a lot if I don't do what they do and don't buy one.

My approach is to search travel forums for current tourist experience with that country. If something shows up there then I make adjustments. So far so good.