Please sign in to post.

International Drivers License??

Okay, do I REALLLLLY need an international driver's license to drive in Germany? We are headed out next Saturday, I haven't gotten one yet and want to know if it's necessary to do so. Anyone got the definative on that?

Posted by
23270 posts

First, there is no such thing as an international driver's license. The international permit is simply a translation of your current license into a standard format for international travel. Is it absolutely necessary -- probably not BUT, and this is a big BUT, if you need it and don't have it -- what are you going to do? Get and be done with it.

Posted by
26 posts

Yes, I suppose the term license is not exactly correct...So, permit... semantics aside, I suppose a trip to AAA and 15 bucks might not be THAT bad... just an extra side trip that I was trying to avoid. I read somewhere that some countries are not that uptight about it and Germany was included in that list. A passport and your current driver's license was sufficient most of the time. Guess I'll suck it up and drive that extra 120 miles to the AAA (not sure where else to obtain one) before I leave and check it off my list.

Posted by
3112 posts

Sharon - Best to call your rental car company and ask if you'll need an international drivers permit. I was required to have one when I rented a car in Croatia earlier this month, but the requirement in Germany may be different.

Posted by
4555 posts

An IDP is not required in Germany. However, it IS required in the neighbouring countries of Austria, Italy, Belgium, and Poland. If you're just sticking to Germany, then your regular Colorado license will be OK. BTW, many have found that auto rental companies in many countries don't care whether you have an IDP or not....even if it's required in their nation.

Posted by
354 posts

If you decide to get the International Driver's Permit, it can also be done through the mail. Download the application from their website; then mail payment, completed application, and two passport size photos (these can even be created on your home computer/printer). However, I'm not positive you could get the IDP in this manner before your Saturday departure.

Posted by
1288 posts

I think it is worth the $15 for one reason: It translates your license into many languages making it easier for a police officer to read your information. If the worse happens and you have to deal with the police, you want things to go as smoothly as possible. My husband always gets one and has never been required to show it. However, if we are ever dealing with police, we don't want them to be frustrated or unhappy with us.(lol) Also, you are traveling in their country and providing documents in their language just seems like a courtesy to me. We did get involved with one situation where one person spoke German, the police spoke Italian and we spoke English. Anything you can do to smooth the situation in the a case like that is helpful. Take it from me: you will never feel farther from home than when it is very important to you to get a point across and you can't communicate with anyone!! The only thing that saved us was that I spoke a little Italian and that made the authorities much more willing to work with me and see my side. It all worked out and everyone seemed satisfied.

Posted by
1589 posts

Try the search feature located up and to the right.

187 results for international driver found in the following categories:

Travelers' Helpline: Get your travel questions answered. 49 results

Posted by
12172 posts

As was stated previously. You don't need one to drive in Germany. If you are certain you will only drive in Germany, you can skip it.

If there is any chance you may want to drive in nearby Austria, get one. It's simple and cheap at AAA offices (you don't have to be a member to get one). If you might need one, get it.

Posted by
337 posts

"If you're just sticking to Germany, then your regular Colorado license will be OK."

Sorry, but that is incorrect. Most (all? Are there US DL's complying with the Convention on Road Traffic?) US driver's licences will need either an official translation of the IDP to be valid in Germany.

The rules found on the website of the German Federal Ministry of Transport:

"For international driving licences no translation is required.

You will need a translation to accompany your national driving licence if

your national licence was not issued by a member state of the EU or a member of the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) or

your licence is in a language other than German or

your licence does not comply with the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968 (Annex 6). Contact the relevant authorities in the country of issue to find out whether this is the case.

[...]

Holders of licences from the following countries do not need to provide a translation:
Andorra,
Hong Kong,
Monaco,
New Zealand,
San Marino,
Switzerland and
Senegal."

Posted by
26 posts

Okay, I decided to just suck it up and get the stupid thing!! LOL..... now I will sleep better at night. Thanks for all of your suggestions. Bon Voyage!

Posted by
7209 posts

AAA thanks you for your $15 donation :-)

Posted by
26 posts

Uh, more like 27.00... Had to have my mugshot done. Oh well, better safe than sorry, my mama always said.... LOL

Posted by
7209 posts

I've had a couple of IDPs during my travels to Europe. Nobody ever looks at it. Car Rental agencies don't want them...they want your REAL drivers license. I was stopped going from Germany into Switzerland by the Swiss Border Checkpoint in my rental van. They asked for my passport and drivers license. I was SOOO happy I had my IDP - until I handed it to the guard who looked at it and Said "No No - your REAL drivers license". I don't buy IDPs anymore.