Please sign in to post.

International Drivers License

RickSteve's site recommends an International Drivers License for driving in Portugal and suggests getting one at an AAA office. I am already in Europe; any suggestions where I get one over here using my American license as validation for it?

Posted by
850 posts

Not sure how you go about getting an International Drivers Pemit since you are already in Europe. The link below lists places in different countries for obtaining IDP's but Portugal is not on the list. Also, I am not sure if the countries listed would issue an IDP for drivers who are not citizens of that particular country. Here is that link:

http://www.drivers.com/article/207

Keep in mind that you need an International Drivers Permit not an International Drivers License. The IDP is merely a translation of your valid state License.

Posted by
4555 posts

You can process it thru AAA back in the states via mail...but that's the only way. So forget about it, and just hope you don't get caught! ;)

Posted by
2207 posts

Danny,

Norm is correct - you can do these through the mail. If you go to an internet cafe in Europe, you can scan and email a copy of your driver's license (both sides), passport photos, and completed form to a friend in the States and then they can go to an AAA office. They will have to sign the back of your passport photos. At that point they would have to send it to you via UPS or FedEx. Know that the IDP will cost $15 but the UPS will probably cost about $20 --- or as Norm says... you can just "not get caught!"

A word to other travelers. My family back home has about three pages of passport photos - all signed on the back - and scans of drivers' licenses, passport, etc. so that if I ever lose anything I can get copies or replacement items quickly. If you're traveling often, or for an extended period like we are, it can be a lifesaver!

Ciao,
Ron