Please sign in to post.

Interlaken to Varenna

What is the best way to get from Interlaken to Varenna? Do I buy train tickets online before I go or at the Interlaken train station?
I looked online at raileurope.com and didn't find any information.

Posted by
8889 posts

Rail Europe is the wrong place to look. They are a reseller.
You will have to go via Milan, in order to get round the "bottom" of Lake Como. There is no straight route because the Alps get in the way.
Go to www.sbb.ch (Swiss Federal Railways) and look up "Interlaken Ost" to "Varenna" with a date and time.
The best option is Interlaken 13:29, Varenna-Esino 18:23 (just under 5 hours) with two changes.
For a random date in May it is offering me tickets at CHF 85, but it may be cheaper if you book Interlaken to Milan on www.sbb.ch and Milan to Varenna on http://www.trenitalia.com (Italian railways).

Posted by
3261 posts

Interlaken in early May? Are you sure you want to do that? From your other posts it appears you will be in Salzburg, and maybe Munich? It is quite a bit out of your way to get to Interlaken between Munich/Salzburg and Varenna. It will be off-season there and you may not see much but mud and dirty snow. You should take a good look at a map and consult a good railway schedule (not Rail Europe) to see how much time you would be spending on trains to get there.

Posted by
42 posts

Thanks for the input. Now, I am thinking that Interlaken is best for another year/trip. Maybe add more Switzerland sites with it. Make sense? As of now, fly into Munich, 3 nights in Salzburg, 1 night in Hallstatt, 2 nights in Munich, and then take train to Varenna where we will stay 3 nights. After that, we head to Cinque Terre for 3 nights and then end up in Florence for 5 nights. We will take several tours from the cities.....Sound of Music, Kings Castles, Wineries in Tuscany. Does this make more sense? What is the best train route from Munich to Varenna? Do we do during the day or is there a train that goes at night? Another thought..... Fly from Munich to Milano and take train to Varenna?
Any suggestions are very much appreciated.