Please sign in to post.

information about rail travel in Austria, 2010

Andreas' post about the delays and frustrations with DB, Germany gave me the idea for this post, I hope it can prove useful for some travelers planning to travel to and within Austria by rail this coming year.

Major renovations/modernizations of train stations and the rail system in Austria are underfoot, including Vienna and Salzburg main stations, causing occasional changes in schedule, routes and stations.
I urge all to peruse the Austrian Rail website ÖBB, instead of the Deutsche Bahn site, in order to be informed about eventual changes!
http://www.oebb.at/pv/en/index.jsp

Overall, everything is fairly well organized, the delays are minor (knock on wood . .) and some stations are already finished, with wonderful results.
Also, the high speed Railjet (Budapest - Vienna - St. Pölten - Salzburg - Munich) is in operation, and it's a wonderful way to travel across Austria, I can very highly recommend it! The abbreviation for this train is RJ, look for it in the schedules when making plans. Do try to make reservations if you at all have the opportunity, as this train is becoming very popular!

There are no replies to this topic.