Please sign in to post.

Icelandic Air- Great fares to Dublin in 2019

I have been seeing some outstanding fares to Dublin in May and June of 2019. How are the flights? On time? Good services? Do you have to buy food on plane, or byo? Are seats average or uncomfortable? I usually try to fly BA, American or Untied. However, American and United are becoming a low cost airline in terms of service, but not pricing. So far, BA has been better, but at $400.00 more per person, I am willing to try Icelandic Air, if reviews are acceptable. $499.00 per person, r/t to Dublin is a really good price if flight reviews pan out. So, if you have flown Icelandic Air recently, I would love to hear from you.

Posted by
683 posts

Wife and I have taken Icelandair to Europe 4 years out of the last 5, and like it pretty well. Seats are fairly comfortable (luxurious compared to a United flight recently, though that one was not international). They are usually on time and, if not, will hold the connecting flight at Reykjavik (our flights have never been significantly late). No food to speak of, since flights are short from Boston--Reykjavik and Reykjavik--Europe. Main thing we don't like is the rushed transfer in Reykjavik, with hardly time to grab a sandwich, even sometimes no time. We take snacks and manage. We are tempted to try another carrier this May, but keep going back to the IA site.

Posted by
1288 posts

We have flown Icelandic Air 3 times to Europe. The seats are average in Economy. You get no food (our flight last Saturday on Lufthansa included 2 meals). However, they are reliable and usually the best fares (We got a killer fare on Lufthansa and great flights which is why we used them). A couple of benefits with Icelandic Air are they allow a free stop over in Iceland. (We did 3 nights our first time and loved it.) Also, If you need a one way fare, they are very fair. It used to be they divided the round trip fare in half. Recently they started charging a little more than 1/2 (Less than 10%). This works for us, because a lot of times we have enough air miles to come home on American. By using Icelandic Air to get us there, we can save quite a bit of money. I would give them a try as that is a very economical fare. Don't wait too long. Usually their best fares are about 9 months in advance and slowly go up as seats fill. (We could not pull the trigger early enough on this last trip to get the best fare.)

Posted by
3226 posts

We flew in July from Anchorage to Oslo and then London to Anchorage. We flew economy (coach, cattle class)
I would rate them no better or worse than any other airline I have flown.
If it is a child, they get an activity packet and food. Probably not applicable in your case. It was in ours.
DO note that their carry on size is smaller than most airlines.

Food is not included even on international flights.
All the flight attendants are blond, and pretty or handsome!

Posted by
8942 posts

Use them to fly Frankfurt to the West Coast every year. Comfy seats, decent entertainment. Bring your own headphones or plugs and your own food.

Posted by
211 posts

We flew them from west coast to Switzerland. The flight was late, really late. First flight I have ever been on that was warm in temperature. I usually dress warm because I freeze, nope, sweated like crazy. No food but we packed it. Seats were tight but it was 7.5 hours versus 11 for the first flight. Plane parked on the tarmac and we got shuffled to second bus while we waited for them to clear the plane. People have not a care in the world slowly down the steps and casually walk to the bus. I am going ballistic because I have minutes for a connection. Mind you our connection was supposed to be 1 hour and 25 minutes. Right before the flight they scheduled it to leave 15 minutes later. We left another 30 minutes after that and we lost time on the flight. Then we get to the line for passport control. People behind us are saying oh we have an hour til our flight, oh nice ours is leaving right now. I was last to get the passport stamped, I get through and husband says, it says last call. So off we run. Yes, they held the flight for us, 30 minutes but the nasty looks we got were horrible. In line we had joked our luggage would make it just fine, not us. The next flight was fine, no food, we were starving and it was freezing cold for 3.5 hours. So not worth the stress for us, we had that discussion more than once. Honestly took that flight because the flight got in 5 hours before the only other reasonable option from our town.

Posted by
33 posts

My husband and I flew Icelandair Sep/Oct 2018. Check the fare class - seats are no different than other airlines, but we purchased through a 3rd party (travel websites), and no checked bags were included. As others have said, no food is included, but is available to purchase on board. If you wait and get food when you stop in Iceland, its very expensive.

I'd like to be able to say that I would fly them again because of the price, but I just wouldn't. I had the worst experience I've ever had on most legs of our flights. We purchased additional legroom seats in an exit row while checking in online. These were full recline, two aisle seats across from each other. The next morning we received a text that our seats had been changed to a middle and an aisle seat, exit row, no recline. I called customer service, and after waiting on hold for over an hour, the representative insisted that we still had our originally purchased seats. Our texted boarding passes were no longer available though. At the airport we had to go to the check-in counter (no boarding pass to get through security), where they confirmed our seats had been changed due to an aircraft change. I wanted two extra legroom seats on the aisle and had looked online, and there were two available, so I asked for them. They allowed me to change, but said they were a third party provider, not Icelandair employees, and I would have to pay again for the seats and get reimbursed for the original seats. Not having a good choice, I did this and am still waiting for the reimbursement (which they have agreed to, but haven't seen yet).

My reason for calling customer service in the first place was to book wheelchair service for my elderly father who was joining us later in the trip (the text came while I was on hold), also on Icelandair. I booked the service, received the confirmation, but no service showed up in PDX, Iceland, or Glasgow for my dad.

On the fight back, they canceled our flight and moved us to a different one. From two aisle seats across from each other in the front of the plane, to two window seats, not together, in the back of the plane. There was no indication that checked bags were not included anywhere on my documents (we did carry on only on the fight over), and while checking in online I could not indicate we wanted to check bags, or had to buy checked bags, so we were charged 88 euros each at the airport. The fact that we had to pay, and the price, was only after they took our bags and they were gone down the conveyor belt. We wanted them back to pack differently and only check one, but we were refused. For some reason, their system insisted that we pay, but was not allowing them to take payment. We stood there for over 45 minutes while they (another third party apparently) called Icelandair on a cell phone, went through customer service, and finally gave our credit card number over the cell phone (really???) to charge us for our bags. It was frustrating, and not good for my 85 year old father to have to stand there that long. Complete amateur hour.

The airport in Iceland is chaotic, the boarding process is chaotic, the changed seats, high fees (which I felt were hidden) all added up to bad flight experiences that I wouldn't do again.