Please sign in to post.

How best to travel in Scandanavia?

I am planning a summer trip for 8 to 10 days, and would like to view as much as possible. I would like to see many of the capitals, such as Stockholm, Copenhagen, and Oslo. Also, Norway in a nutshell is interesting. How best do I get around? Train, plane, or ? Ideas for the best possible trip considering the time element would help.
Thank you,
Giovanna

Posted by
1525 posts

One way or another, get yourself to NYC JFK airport. From there fly IcelandAir to Helsinki;

Day #;

1) Depart

2) Land mid-day in Helsinki - 1/2 day sightseeing

3) Helsinki until 5:00 PM - overnight Silja ship to Stockholm (fun, and not too expensive)

4) Stockholm 10:00 AM arrival

5) Stockholm

6) Early train to Copenhagen - noon arrival

7) Copenhagen until 5:00 PM - overnight ship to Oslo

8) Oslo 10:00 AM arrival

9) Norway-in-a-Nutshell day to Bergen

10) All day in Bergen

11) Depart & arrive home

That's the best I can do, but I don't really suggest this. It's too busy. You could cut out Helsinki (though that would be a shame) but that would still make it sinfully short. You really need two full weeks -15 days including flights to make this work.

Why NYC JFK and IcelandAir?? Because they can offer every combination of open-jaw flights you might want to use, including Bergen (one of the few airlines to do trans-atlantic from Bergen). There might be some other air choices that better serve you from Pittsburgh, but then you will wind up designing your vacation to fit the airline instead of the other way around.

Posted by
12313 posts

Don't forget ferries. There are overnight ferries to most major ports in Scandinavia. They are like mini-cruises with restaurants and lodging.

They aren't cheap, Scandinavia in general isn't cheap, but probably compare favorably to transportation and lodging as seperate expenses.

I haven't taken them yet but am learning about them for an upcoming trip to the Baltic.

Posted by
2876 posts

If you only plan to see the large cities, the most efficient use of your time would be to fly between countries. Norwegian airlines does all the hops between the major Scandinavian cities, except Helsinki.

If you wanted to add Helsinki, you could fly Finnair, or you could take the very fun overnight boat ride from Stockholm on the Silja or Viking line.