Please sign in to post.

Hotels

I asked a question last week about reservations on train travel in Germany and I thank all of you who responded but now I have another question. When tying to find hotels or B&B's I notice some of them are really being booked up in some of the cities we'll be visiting in September. We can't make that many reservations in advance since our itinerary will be day to day. What experience has anyone had in booking places at Tourist Offices upon arrival in a city? There will be 4 of us.

Posted by
23572 posts

You will be fine but need some flexibility. TI is a good source or go to Trip Adviser and make a list of hotels, phone numbers you would be interested in using and call a day or two before you arrive. Even keep the hotels that are booked now as they will have cancellations.

Posted by
4412 posts

I didn't see any mention of Munich in your other thread, but you may be around there during Oktoberfest time (Sept 21 - Oct 6)...

Posted by
12313 posts

TI's used to be a great place to get help with booking a room when you arrive in town. They're still useful, in a pinch, but are now less of a public service and more of a sponsored link - likely to steer you to the more expensive places that sponsor them. If you are traveling in the middle of September or later, it should be really easy to find a place as you travel. My technique is to book only for fixed portions of my itinerary - date/city of arrival, date/city for night before return flight, plus any set days in between. Other than that I build a list of places I'd like to stay (gleaned from travel books, tripadvisor.com, personal recommendations, past experience, etc.). I'll usually have about five choices for each planned stop. When I'm on my way to that stop, I'll call ahead around 10 am and ask if they have a room available and how much it costs? If the price is good, I'll book it and tell them when I plan to arrive. Normally, I end up at my first or second choice, at a really good price (because I'm taking a room that would have been vacant).