Please sign in to post.

Homeland Security pushes back date for REAL ID to May 3, 2023

The Department of Homeland Security now says the deadline for having a READ-ID compliant drivers license or identification card has been moved to May 3, 2023 due to the pandemic. DHS says it is giving the states extra time to open their DMV offices to issue these new cards.

A REAL-ID will be needed to board a flight after that date.

If your drivers license has a star in the upper right hand corner, then you have a REAL-ID,

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/deadline-real-id-air-travel-pushed-back-due-covid-pandemic-n1265456

Posted by
8423 posts

So, in 2023, it will be 18 years since that law was passed.

Posted by
23245 posts

And according to tonight's news, only 43% of the population has a REAL ID. It will be postponed -- again.

Posted by
2449 posts

I renewed my CA driver license at the end of when the pre-REAL-ID option still being offered intentionally so that I could put off having one for as long as possible. Prefer bringing my passport to the airport.

Posted by
7330 posts

So was the name chosen to distinguish it from a Fake ID that underage kids use to try and buy alcohol?

Posted by
17868 posts

if you have the REAL ID, you can't bring your passport? I understand that they are redesigning the REAL ID drivers lic so that it can read the micro chip that was in the vaccines we got

Posted by
2745 posts

This has been a total joke.

After all without "REAL ID" we aren't safe and planes are being hijacked daily, right??? LOL NO!

(And sorry but you can board a plane without ANY ID for domestic US travel... trust me I have done it. I wouldn't recommend it, but it can be done!)

Wonder what their excuse for this not being required in 2023 will be

Posted by
1259 posts

The Real ID has other functions for which you may not wish to carry your passport such as, for one, entering federal buildings.
Here in Idaho, the first reaction of our legislature to the original implementation was, "The federal government is overreaching its authority. Idaho will not comply." I got mine anyway. it's cool.

Posted by
7330 posts

For what it’s worth, Colorado Driver Licenses (they make a big deal that it’s a DRIVER license, not Driver’s) have had a star on them for some time. My previous license, which expired in 2020, had a star in the corner, along with a color photo and colorful graphics. The license was redesigned, in ghastly green and black. It’s not like old US currency, but seems like a prison ID, or something Boris Karloff would’ve dreamed up in a nightmare. Definitely not a visual improvement, but it’s got the all-important star, and maybe advanced technological components inside the plastic surfaces. If we don’t exist unless documentation can prove it, Colorado’s been compliant for some time. The Driver license is disappointing, even if adequate.

Posted by
23245 posts

Same for mine and there is no US flag.

Posted by
818 posts

Flags on DLs are for Enhanced DLs only, which are available in VT, NY, MI, MN, and WA only. All other REAL ID compliant DLs would have the star.

Posted by
23245 posts

What is the differences????? Generally those who are opposed to the state mandate are opposed to the "concept" of a national identity card. As if that would really make any difference. look at your phone --- you can be tracked with that.

Posted by
2745 posts

I have absolutely no problem with the real ID, but the fantasy that it is going to protect us ? It’s just that- fantasy

Posted by
32709 posts

for folks who will reply because this thread was woken from its sleep - note that the thread is from April.

EDIT:
so now 3 days after waking this thread we see that the so called mortenson has modified his post to include a spam link. Don't click on it and the Webmaster will put it in the queue for zappage.