Please sign in to post.

help with Rail passes

I thought I've read everything about the rail passes but I am still so confused. Is the rail pass good everywhere? Is the global eurail pass good in Italy? I've tried to enter a destination to a schedule but Florence didnt' register. I'm trying to get from Interlaken to Florence but it seems I cant'. Can anyone help a first timer to Europe?

Posted by
19157 posts

A global pass is valid in all 23 countries of the "Eurail zone", so it would include Italy. Then there are se lect passes good in 3, 4, or 5 contiguous countries. There are also two country passes and single country passes. On what website are you entering Florence and it doesn't register? Florence is really called Firenze, but I think most rail websites, even Italian Rail's, will accept Florence. Try searching for schedules on the German Rail (Bahn) website. It won't give you fares, but you don't need to know them with a railpass (in Italy you will have to pay a passholder surcharge to ride express trains). I just found schedules for Interlaken Ost (Interlaken Ost or Interlaken East is the main station in Interlaken) to Florence on four websites (German, Swiss, and Italian Rail). Aha. I just tried Interlaken Ost to Florence on the RailEurope website, and it wouldn't show me anything. However, I did get Interlaken Ost to Brig and Brig to Florence. Don't use RailEurope! It doesn't show all the connections in Europe, only the ones for which they sell tickets.

Posted by
32249 posts

Karen, You may find it very helpful to download the free PDF Rail Guide from this website. Click the "Railpasses" tab at the top of the page and then look in the lower right corner for the link. It provides good information on using Railpasses. It may also help to have a look at This Short Video. As Lee mentioned, Railpasses do NOT include the reservation fees that are compulsory on premium trains such as the EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita. DO NOT forget these in Italy or you may be fined on the spot and it won't be cheap! Happy travels!