Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to Stansted

If I land at Heathrow shortly around noon on a Saturday and I need to get to Stansted for a 3:30 flight, will I make it? What is the quickest way to go? In this situation, cost is not as critical as time.

Posted by
9100 posts

Dawn, where were you planning to fly to out of Stansted? We might be able to help you find an affordable flight from Heathrow.

Posted by
8700 posts

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way you can make this connection. At Heathrow you need to allow up to one hour to clear immigration/passport control. National Express coaches (highway buses) run about once/hour directly from Heathrow to Stansted. The first coach you would have any chance of catching departs at 13:10 and arrives at 14:55, only 35 minutes before your scheduled departure and after the strict check-in deadline for the budget airlines that use Stansted. Even if your plane is still at the gate, you will not be allowed to board and your ticket will be worthless. For coach timetables and fares, go here.

Posted by
122 posts

Thanks for your response, Tim. Can I make it by taxi?

Posted by
122 posts

We're trying to get to Ljublijana. I think I'm having a nightmare because this is the last of the trip arrangements--even the hotel in Ljublijana is booked...suppose I did this backward? We only have two days there and if we have to go the next day, we might as well just spend the night in London and cut it out altogether. If you've got a great idea, I'm all ears!

Posted by
8700 posts

No, a taxi wouldn't be any better. And the ride would cost you a small fortune! It's 109km from Heathrow to Stansted. Even though most of the route is on motorways (freeways), viamichelin.com gives a driving time of 1hr12min in ideal traffic conditions. According to the search engine skyscanner.com, you could fly BMI from Heathrow to Vienna and Austrian Airlines from Vienna to Ljubljana, departing at 15:35 and arriving at 21:50. You would have a 1hr55min layover in Vienna and you would have to book separate tickets for each flight.

Posted by
122 posts

Thanks for doing the research, Tim. I really do appreciate it and it does help. BTW, just realized you're just on the other side of the river...do what you can to keep the snow away this week, will you? Thanks again!

Posted by
32788 posts

Or by rail,: Arrive: 1200 (if you're not late) (don't dawdle getting off the plane) Customs and Immigration: easily 1 hr: 1300 (walk really fast to Heathow Express - time optimistically included in customs & immigration) Catch Heathrow Express (every 15, takes 15) 1257-1303 depending on arrival terminal: arrive Paddington 1319. 5 minutes to taxi rank, optimistically assumes no queue and straight into cab.
20 minutes in the cab to Liverpool Street Station. Last Sunday I cycled from Liverpool Street Station to Soho in just over 15 so 20 in a cab from Paddington shouldn't be far off : its now 13:45 Catch the 13:55 Stansted Express which takes 46 minutes so you can now relax and find a toilet, maybe a snack from the on board refreshments. At 14:41 you arrive and run up the escalators to look for the check in desk and hope there is no queue. It is now 14:45. How far ahead do you have to check in for your 15:30 flight? If its 45 minutes and absolutely everything went 100% perfectly you might make it. If its any more than 45 minutes check in deadline I'm afraid it won't work.

Posted by
8700 posts

Dawn, I'm paying no attention to the weather forecast. I've decided that spring is here - and I've removed the 350 lbs of traction sand in the bed of my pickup to prove it!

Posted by
122 posts

Good for you, Tim! I think it worked because it isn't snowing yet! Nigel, I am speechless. However, I think I've got this all figured out. I'll just set my watch ahead half an hour and I'm sure everything will fall into place just fine! Impressive work, Nigel!!