Please sign in to post.

Happy 2010! Question about Trainhotels Paris to Madrid...

As I try to book an overnight train, I am choosing the 'MINI A DEUX' option, which I believe is 1st class, in order to have accommodations with my husband. As I check out the seat61 site, I am confused as to exactly what I am choosing. Is it a 2 berth room with a sink listed as 'Preferente?' And from what I gather, breakfast is included, but not dinner. We store our luggage in our berth while we eat and it should be safe there? Are my assumptions correct, or am I missing anything? Thanks for any insight...

Posted by
54 posts

I'm booking on TGV website, using Great Britian as my country, as advised here. :o) I'm just a bit cautious and want to know exactly what I'm getting before I book...

Posted by
14995 posts

Tim, our resident train expert, should be on in a day or two. You might want to wait for him or someone else who has had personal experience with this.

Posted by
19092 posts

"Actually, I have been on the TrainHotel from Germany to Spain"

Steve, when was that? I've been following rail in Europe for years, and I never seen a night train connection all the way from Germany to Spain. There are currently two train connections via Paris and via Bern, but trains from Spain to Germany take too long for a night train.

TrainHotel says they go to Paris and to Zürich, and there are other day and night trains from there to Germany, but no direct trains.

Posted by
8700 posts

From my reading of the information on seat61.com, the Gran Clase sleepers have a private shower and toilet. Both dinner and breakfast are included. The Preferente sleepers have a washbasin. Only breakfast is included. In either case you would be traveling 1st class.

The site says you will be given a hotel-style key card for your door.

Posted by
54 posts

Tim, I read all that, too, from the seat61 site. I'm hoping for the 'preferente' option, but couldn't tell if the 'Mini A Deux' is one and the same. That's where I got confused. Wish there was some way I could know before booking... There should be an option to expand the description for those of us who are slightly clueless! :o) I may as well book it and hope for the best!

Posted by
19092 posts

I don't speak French, but doesn't "A DEUX" mean "for two".

I guess "MINI" means the same in French as it does in most languages, although I'm surprised that the French don't have a paragraph or two to use instead of a word with probably an English origin.

So, I guess, "MINI A DEUX" must be a small compartment for two. What were the other options?

Posted by
4555 posts

Are the tickets you're looking at 110 Euro pp in Club class, or 159 Euro pp in Grand Class? If so, then you're looking at their "mini couple" promotional fare. It's first class....Club or Grand...but you're getting a great deal by booking as a couple and traveling by March 25th. You can get a virtual tour of both classes and a listing of the amenities here.

Posted by
8700 posts

Lee, you have just mastered French! :). Indeed, "mini a deux" means "small compartment for two."

Posted by
14995 posts

Sherri...here's a youtube video of a grande classe cabin...

Trenhotel Cabin

Posted by
19092 posts

Steve,

I thought there was something "wrong" with that. I have only closely followed rail in Germany since the early 2000s, but I had not noticed night trains coming all the way from Spain. (Where do the trains in Spain remain?)

International trains have always presented a problem, politically. Until recently, the French, for example, would not want a German train coming into Paris. Countries formed joint operating companies to operate trains in both countries. Thalys, I believe, is owned by France, Belgium, Germany, and maybe Netherlands. CityNightLine was owned by German Rail but chartered in Switzerland.

In 1987 I was on my first and only European night train, from Brussels to Karlsruhe. It started in Ostende, taking on passengers from the ferries from UK (no Chunnel then) and was going all the way to Istanbul. I don't think it was the Orient Express, which I think started in Paris. I think in those days those were privately operated trains pulled by engines from the country they were in. Today Brussels to Istanbull would involve 4 or 5 train changes. Anyway, night trains don't often run much more than about 12 hours, and Spain to Germany is closer to 24 hrs. You get off of the night train and continue on a day train.