Please sign in to post.

GPS for Ireland?

How useful/necessary is GPS for getting around Ireland?

Posted by
9363 posts

I have driven four times in Ireland without a GPS. Sometimes I got lost, sometimes I didn't. I don't have a problem reading maps, but I will probably take my GPS next time. As Andrea says, you can confidently take a "shortcut" or get sidetracked on purpose, and it will still get you where you intended to go at the end of the day. It also gives other useful information, like the nearest gas station, food, or hospital.

Posted by
9110 posts

A gps is just another format for a map. If you're severly geographically challenged it shows you where you are. When I use one, I leave the sound off. But, the only time I really use it at all is at night when I'm alone in areas I don't know that well and would probably kill myself trying to read and drive at the same time. The last couple of trips (neither was to Ireland) it stayed in the trunk most of the time. Using a map and looking at road signs works just as well in Ireland and everywhere else. Take it or not, you'll still get around. People traveled just fine for thousands of years before the darn things were invented.

Posted by
2367 posts

Never used one either, getting a little lost is part of the adventure. If you are truly lost, stop any place and get directions. People are so helpful. We had a woman we stopped who offered to ride along with us and take the bus back but she was on her way to daughter's house. We still talk about that.

Posted by
30 posts

One of my traveling companions has downloaded maps on his GPS. Much cheaper than $15/day at the rental agency. Most post say it is a must. Never used it before in europe, so I'll know better in a few months. I have printed some driving directions for the internet and have not been able to follow them on my maps. Between named road numbers they have detailed instuction like turn right, turn left, turn right towards some berg that is not on my map, and so on for 8-9 turns till it fially says turn left on N9 (an actul road number).

Posted by
10230 posts

I strongly recommend using a GPS. Especially for Ireland, when you need to concentrate harder because you are driving on the "wrong" side of the road. The GPS will help you know ahead of time when you will be turning, how much further, etc. If you do take a wrong turn (trust me, it happens!) the GPS will recalculate in order to get you back on track. You won't need to worry about stopping and finding someone to ask where you are and how to get to where you need to go. With a GPS, if something looks interesting you can go check it out. The GPS will still get you to your final destination.

Posted by
1021 posts

I was reluctant to get a GPS. We had driven all over the States and Europe without it. But my navigator decided we needed one. Now I'm a convert. It is especially useful in getting into and out of strange towns and cities as well as drives through the countryside on winding small roads where its easy to miss a turn. Our Garmin alerts me to fixed speed cameras and changes in the speed limit on motorways. And as mentioned, it can get you back on track very quickly if you get off the route intentionally or otherwise. It isn't absolutely necessary, of course. But it is useful.

Posted by
44 posts

While having a GPS in not absolutely necessary, I found it to be useful. It took some of the pressure and distraction away while allowing me to worry about driving. I plan on bringing my GPS on all of my trips.

Posted by
1357 posts

I'd suggest getting the GPS now and trying it out at home before going to Ireland. There's all kinds of different settings, and ways to redirect/change the directions you're getting. You'll want to work that out on familiar surroundings. But a caveat about the GPS my sister got one for our trip to Ireland 2 years ago. According to her, there was no way to set it to NOT send us down little cattle track roads. We got stuck down a couple of those. I think my kids learned some new words when we were less than a mile from our intended highway (I had the map) and my brother-in-law turns down a tiny road, only to have us stuck in the middle of a local 10K race.

Posted by
712 posts

Last summer we rented a car from Budget at Dublin Airport and they said they would give it to us for $5 a day. I talked my husband into it. It was great out in rural areas when we got lost. I helped us in roundabouts to let us know what exit to expect. The only place it was not great was where a new highway had just opened up or where there were current detours. It kept telling us to go left or right where there no exits on one of the roads. I think it was trying to take us the "old" way. If you do get GPS, be sure to have a map ready just in case. My husband now likes GPS, especially when out in the countryside.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks to one and all! I am loving all the varieties of thought, advice and ideas throughout this site.

Posted by
2367 posts

I seem to remember reading someplace that in the west of Ireland they have replaced many English road signs to Gaelic so that might make a map harder and GPS might be worth while. See what others say and as one person said, for $5.00 a day is probably worth it. Personally never used one but my son did for Paris even I told him to never drive ever in Paris but he was fine.

Posted by
9110 posts

Where street signs are in Gaelic, they are also in English.

Posted by
2367 posts

Good to know, I had thought they had changed that, makes it much easier.

Posted by
931 posts

We bought our TomTom GPS for our vacation in Germany and Portugal in 2007, and have subsequently used it in France, Italy, Sardinia and a cross country US trip. We'll be taking it to Spain in May. My navigator loves it! No more "discussions" about when to turn, where to turn, no "OMG!which roundabout exit do we take??!!", etc. The GPS is not infallible; we still purchase a fold out Michelin map of the country, and take a compass, but this little device has done so much to contribute to "marital bliss", on our road trips, that I don't leave home without it!

Posted by
18 posts

My husband and I traveled in Ireland in September 2010. We were very grateful that we purchased the Ireland chip for our Garmin GPS. Roads in Ireland are often unmarked or confusingly marked, and it was extremely helpful to have the GPS tell exactly when we were to make a turn. It also helped with the very frequent roundabouts. That said, the GPS occasionally became confused and took us on some harrowing side roads (one lane, grass in the center, lots of sheep...). We did not take Rick's advice and purchase detailed maps when we arrived in Ireland, but we will when we go again. I don't know if you already have a GPS. I would recommend that you do purchase one of your own--they are incredibly handy even in your hometown. Get used to using it before you go, and purchase the Ireland or Europe chip online. Our limited experience in using a GPS that comes with a car rental has been negative. We are very happy with our most recent Garmin purchase.
Have a wonderful trip--Ireland and its people are great. Driving will be an adventure, and you will come to understand what they mean by "sharing" the road. I believe it is the best way to see Ireland and experience the "serendipity" that it has to offer.