Please sign in to post.

gps

I want to get navigation help while I'm walking around Venice and while I'm driving through Ireland. Rick's book advocates looking into an international cell data plan and potentially using an app like GoogleMaps. He indicates that a good app cuts way back on data use.

My questions:
1) Has anyone had success with that version of navigation in those places?
2) GoogleMaps vs Siri vs...?

Posted by
32736 posts

google maps will munch data like corny dogs at the state fair. Your data will be gone in a flash.

Siri also uses data to provide answers, if it involves painting maps on your screen, hold onto your hat.

Hope you have deep pockets.

There are plenty of off line mapping apps which use no data when in use. Just load them up when at home or in a strong wifi area.

If you have your head down looking at your phone or tablet in Venice you will miss all the things you went there to see. The whole secret about enjoying Venice is to get lost. Try it, and put a paper map in your pocket and put the phone away.

Posted by
3941 posts

I use city maps to go app on my Ipad...totally offline...only caveat - you need to hook up to wifi once when you arrive so it can pinpoint you, then you are good to go. OK - should add - good for walking around Venice, not good for driving in Ireland...

Posted by
83 posts

We walked and wandered and got VERY lost in Venice last summer. One of our favorite evenings...including the wonderful restaurant we found for dinner. When we were ready to find our way back to the hotel, I could NOT make heads or tails with the printed map I carried. It was Siri to the rescue! Felt like cheating....but it worked!

Peg