Please sign in to post.

Going from Lyon France to Caen France August 2019

Hello. We will be going from Lyon France to Caen France in August 2019. We wanted to know if there are any practical options other than a train through Paris. There are four is of us with a lot of luggage and we did not want to drag them through Paris. We would prefer not to drive a rental if possible. We did look at a plane and made reservations but they canceled the flight. When we checked on a car/driver it seemed like it would be over 1000 EU. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance. Dick K.

Posted by
16893 posts

I would take this afternoon departure, which runs most days in August, but not 3-4 or 15-17. I also would not pack more luggage than each person can handle easily.

Lyon Part Dieu dep 17:30, TGV 5376, Direction: Le Havre

Subject to compulsory reservation , Global price , Bar , space for wheelchairs

Mantes La Jolie arr 20:32

Transfer time 6 min.

Mantes La Jolie dep 20:38, IC 3355, Direction: Caen

Caen arr 22:19

Posted by
20015 posts

There is a TGV to St Pierre des Corps at 10:30, connecting to Tours, then a 2 3/4 layover for a train to Caen. This takes 9 hours, almost twice as long as going through Paris. You could take a taxi from Gare de Lyon to Gare St Lazare, or take the Metro No 14 line which has elevators and/or escalators at both ends.

Posted by
564 posts

I don’t know your budget but for 157 euros you can transfer by private car. It’s a 6.5 hour ride. You can add in stops. Look at www.mydaytrips.com

Posted by
11130 posts

If you don't reduce the amount of luggage, a large rental car would be easiest, best. When we rent cars in Europe with another couple, we each have a 21” or 22” suitcase and a small backpack.