Please sign in to post.

Global Entry

Global Entry speeds up re-entry to U.S. and for me was well worth the $100 fee and the trip for the required interview. Signs at the International Arrivals area in Atlanta are clearly marked Global Entry, and the kiosk is easy to find and use.

Global Entry approval also qualifies the holder for TSA Pre-check.

Posted by
4389 posts

It's the best money you can spend on a trip.

At O'Hare, there were 3 or 4 kiosks that were easy to use, however we got "yelled" at when leaving after claiming our baggage because we were told we could have "jumped the line" to get out sooner.

Yeah, like I'm going to cut in front of surly, tired passengers in Chicago ............

Posted by
96 posts

We recently received our Global Entry pass and enjoyed going through the TSA pre-check. In the past we were occasionally granted a TSA pre-check, just because. It was my understanding the the Global Entry pass would include TSA pre-check at airports. Yesterday I read an article about how those "just because" TSA pre-checks are being discontinued and because of that the lines going through security at airports are going to be much longer. I want to know how this will affect the Global Entry access to the TSA pre-check line. We went through a thorough background check and fingerprinted, along with paying $100. Will we now have to go through another application and pay $85 for the TSA pre-check pass? Thanks in advance.

Posted by
14979 posts

TSA Precheck is included as part of Global Entry. Just remember to include your redress number when making reservations.

Posted by
8369 posts

For those of you in a Northern State with a border with Canada, consider the NEXUS card. It is half the cost of the global entry card and allows for global entry and TSA precheck as well. The locations for interviews are more limited than Global Entry, so it really works best if you are in a border state.

Posted by
3518 posts

It is not your Redress number, but your Known traveler number you have to supply.

Redress number is what you are given if you are accidentally placed on the no fly list and then get taken off the list.

Big difference.

Posted by
3518 posts

Global Entry was great on my recent return from Europe. Came in through Washington DC and apparently every United flight from Europe for the day arrived at exactly the same minute. The lines were ridiculous. Going through the Global Entry line took me all of 10 minutes, and most of that was because the machine couldn't read my finger prints. Those going through Global Entry were sprinting the last leg of the process because the customs immigration guy was waving us through as fast as we could get to his desk. The cost is definitely worth it because I made my flight that day.

Those not on Global Entry spent at least 90 minutes waiting to get through passport check.

And then TSA ... No precheck line for connecting flights from the customs area. One big cluster there.

Posted by
14979 posts

Thanks, Mark,--my bad.

It's been so long since I had to enter it--it's already listed in all my FF accounts--that I plum forgot.

Posted by
4389 posts

In a related matter, we were lucky with our Global Entry at O'Hare because we had not looked closely enough at our connection, we had to fetch our bags and then take the shuttle train to another terminal.

If we had stood in line like everyone else, we never would have made our connection. Do the math carefully.

Posted by
95 posts

Just wanted to ask if certain airlines do not honor global entry status while going through TSA pre check while boarding within the USA. Last month we flew on Lufthansa from DTW -Frankfurt-IST , and was surprised to find that we could not breeze through TSA, still had to take off belts, etc. When we asked Lufthansa counter staff, they said Lufthansa does not partake in TSA pre-check. I don't know was it because the flight was going to Istanbul, or because ALL Lufthansa flights need to be checked. If this is true, do any of you know what other airlines don't allow TSA pre check (within continental USA)? Just wanted to know ahead of time. Thanks.

Posted by
14979 posts

Only certain U.S. and Canadian airlines officially partake of TSA Precheck.

To see what airlines at a particular airport offer TSA Precheck, go to the following webpage and fill in the name or code of the airport:

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/map

Posted by
4389 posts

and just complicate, even if you DO have Global Entry or TSA Precheck, you will sometimes randomly be assigned to the slow, disrobe line. Just to keep things honest.

And the opposite is true as well, sometimes civilians are randomly pulled out of the slow line and get to cruise through precheck. Gotta love that TSA.

Posted by
3518 posts

You have to remember that the TSA and Pre Check are a US thing. The rest of the world doesn't have either. So no foreign airline is going to be part of the program.

Even some US based airlines do not participate in the Pre Check program (Frontier is one) because it costs money for them to do so. Also, many smaller airports still do not have a Pre Check line although some will allow you to keep your shoes and belt on if you show a boarding pass with Pre Check on it. And something I discovered on my last couple trips back into the US is that the connections area after passport control does not have a Pre Check lane even in some of the busiest airports.