Please sign in to post.

Germany Rail Pass

I am planning on buying a 4 day rail pass. I will be starting my travel in Munich. On one day I would like to do a day trip to Salzburg. My question is, does the round trip on one day count as one days worth of travel on the rail pass or is it counted in some other way? Thanks.

Posted by
19092 posts

"does the round trip on one day count as one days worth of travel on the rail pass" Of course. HOWEVER, ... 1 day of a four day, 2nd class, Individual pass costs about $71. For 22€, less than $30, you can buy a Bayern-Ticket, which will also give you a round trip from Munich to Salzburg. Yes, it will be for regional trains, but they only take ½ hour longer each way. The Bayern-Ticket will also cover your travel from anywhere in the Munich metro area to the Hbf to catch your train to Salzburg; the rail pass might not. What are your other three days. A rail pass is probably not your best option.

Posted by
6 posts

Lee, thanks for the reply. Maybe I phrased my question wrong. I realize that the roundtrip travel to Salzburg on one day will count as a days travel. What I wanted to know is will it be counted as something more than a day. Thanks.

Posted by
19092 posts

I'm not sure what you mean by "will it be counted as something more than a day"? Before you get on the train, you fill in the date you are using the pass. That takes one day off of the remaining days of your pass. Then it's valid for unlimited travel for that day, until midnight. If you come back to Munich on a train that arrives after midnight, you must use another day of the pass. (With a Bayern-Ticket you could travel until 3 AM the next morning.) Salzburg Hbf is outside of Germany, but it is considered a "border station" for the German Rail Pass, so you can use the pass for travel from Munich to Salzburg Hbf. This is not true of any Eurail pass which includes Germany, but not Austria.