Please sign in to post.

German Rail Twin Pass

I purchased a 10 day, first class German Rail Twin Pass, at the Deutsche Bahn web site featuring a Special 25% off promotion
I received the pass via mail however printed on the pass are the following restrictions;

With this pass reservations is mandatory on: ICE, IC, EC, RJ, TGV, CNL, EN, D trains and IC Bus.

The Web site does not mention these restrictions, a call to Deutsche Bahn did not clarify if I'll need to reserve seats, we purchased the twin pass for the flexibility to hop on, hop off. Will this pass work as a hop on hop off on the DB system ( except ICE Sprinter?)

Posted by
20980 posts

You bought a Sit'n'Stay pass, which gives a 25% discount in return for required reservation on the fast trains you mentioned. At least on the Deutsche Bahn site, it couldn't be clearer. Since a reservation fee is 4.50 euro for each itinerary (covers connecting trains on the same itinerary) is needed, it is still a better deal than the regular pass. You don't need reservations on RE, RB, and S-Bahn trains. You can buy the reservation at the station just before boarding, but without one you are traveling with an invalid ticket and subject to all the fines and penalties that incurs.
http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/prices/germany/german-rail-pass-sitnsave.shtml

Posted by
8889 posts

The heirachy of German trains, from bottom to top, is (excluding minor categories):

• U-Bahn = Underground / Metro / subway trains in a city and suburbs. Reservations not possible.
  • S-Bahn = Suburban and commuter trains in and around a city. Reservations not possible.
  • RB = Regio = Local trains. Stop at all stations. Reservations not possible.
  • RE = Regio Express = Stop at most stations. Reservations not possible.
  • IRE = Inter Regio Express = Stop at a main stations only. Reservations not possible.

THE BIG DIVIDE

• IC = Intercity. Stops at big cities only. Reservations possible, and for some ticket types compulsary.
  • EC = Eurocity = International Intercity. Stops at big cities only. Reservations possible, and for some ticket types compulsary.
  • ICE = Intercity Express = High Speed train. Stops at big cities only. Reservations possible, and for some ticket types compulsary.

Your ticket will work as "hop-on-hop-off" in categories up to and including IRE.

Posted by
4684 posts

The ones Chris didn't mention:

RJ - Railjet, international Austrian fast trains
TGV - international French fast trains
CNL - City Night Line, sleeper trains
EN - Euronight, slightly less luxurious sleeper trains
D - Durchgangzug, traditional term for express train, now very rare.

Fortunately the reservation prices aren't very high in Germany.

Posted by
2 posts

All: Thanks for the input, I should note that I did not choose a Sit and Stay Pass. I specifically chose the German Rail Twin Pass ( @ 25% discount) and the DB site does not ( as far as I can see) mention the need of reservations for ICE, IC and EC trains for the Twin.

I do see the need of reservations if the Sit and Save is selected.

If I do need reservations for the upper end trains how close to departure time are they available at the station?

The Sit and Save is predicated on knowing your exact travel plans well in advance--not what we were hoping for, a hop on, hop off is what we selected by choosing the Twin Pass and not Sit and Save.

Again thanks for taking time to respond,

Posted by
14809 posts

Hi,

I have only bought the regular Austria-Ger Pass, 10 day, 1st or 2nd class. On the EN and CNL trains it's mandatory to get a reservation before you get on anyway. Now, if you do get on w/o having bought a reservation and occupy an unreserved seat, fine, but when tickets are checked, you'll need to show the Pass plus your reservation, failing which you'll have to buy it then from the train controller. Just pay the cash then.

I did once in 2009 going from Frankfurt to Vienna on the EN, just hopped on, and paid the controller after he saw my Pass. I wouldn't do that again, too insecure about getting a seat in a six seat compartment. There are people who do just that, ie boarding w/o a reservation but they end up paying for one anyway to the controller.

Posted by
20980 posts

@ Fred, I think things have changed a bit since 2009. I don't think conductors handle cash anymore. The pass in question is not a Eurail Pass, but one offered directly by Deutsche Bahn. On the page I sited on my first post, the following statement is made:
"If a reservation is not made or you cannot show proof of your reservation when the ticket is checked, the pass is considered invalid and you will be fined accordingly."

Posted by
14809 posts

Thanks for the information. It's a much stricter Pass.

Posted by
19240 posts

I'm not going to get involved with your dispute with DB, but I think the German Rail Twin Pass (@25% discount) IS the Sit and Save pass. They want people to make reservations during the busy summer season. That's why they are giving the discount on the pass if you do. I saw the "link" immediately, but I approached the discount offer differently. I understand that some people, approaching the offer from another "direction", did not see the link.

Nevertheless, you will have to have a seat reservation any time you board one of the "reservable" trains (ICE, IC, EC, RJ, etc). This will seriously impede your ability to hop on/off, because you will either have to plan your stops and buy reservations in advance, at 4,50€ per hop, or get a new reservation every time you get off for the next hop.

BTW, reservation can be obtained at the time of purchase for up to two specific trains in the same direction. That is, if going from town A to town B, if you knew in advance that you wanted to hop off at town C, for one 4,50€ reservation, you could reserve a seat on the first train from A to C and on a second train, from C to B, but it would have to be for specific trains, and reservations are not exchangeable.

Posted by
16895 posts

I can indeed see how you could start a booking through DB's regular pass link at http://www.bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/prices/germany/germanrailpass.shtml and get through the shopping cart without being shown the reservation requirement. There is no deadline to buy the seat reservations. It will cut into your hop-on flexibility and your savings, but you can buy those seat assignments right before boarding each train, if you want, or a few at a time.