Please sign in to post.

german rail pass

Is there a better time to purchase a Germain Rail pass for Sept 2013. When do the prices change?

Posted by
11294 posts

Are you sure your travel needs are best served by a pass, instead of pre-purchased discount tickets, or Laender tickets? I'm not saying a pass isn't for you, but do be sure. You should read this first: http://www.seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm#Should%20you%20buy%20a%20railpass%20or%20pay-as-you-go As one example of savings possible with pre-purchase: When my mother and I went from Berlin to Dresden, the ticket was €39 per person full price, €19 for one person advance purchase, and €29 for two people advance purchase (all second class). And for Dresden to Goerlitz, we used the Saxon ticket (Saxony is a Land, similar to a US State), for €25 for 2 people for the whole day, with no advance purchase necessary (fast trains not covered, but there are no fast trains between Dresden and Goerlitz).

Posted by
13 posts

William, we buy our passes about 3 months before our trip. We are going in June and will proably buy them in May. I don't think there is a standard time when they change. We have been using them to travel in Europe for the last 15 years and the prices have not changed that much.
Pass vs Point to POint, depends on home much train travel you are doing. I would check out that website that the other guy mentions and weigh out your costs. Good luck, Karen