Please sign in to post.

German Rail Pass

The German Rail Pass includes travel to Salzburg and Basel. How do I go about using it at the Basel station for a train into Germany?

Posted by
19099 posts

There are actually three stations in Basel, the Swiss Rail (SBB) station and the French Rail (SNCF) station are together, inline with each other. The German Rail station (Basal Bad(ischer) Bahnhof) is a few km away linked by regular rail lines and trams. I know that the German Rail pass includes the Basel Bad Bahnhof. You can use the pass to go from Germany to Basel Bad Bhf or to board any train headed into Germany at Basel Bad Bhf. I'm not so sure about Basel SBB (I've never been there with a pass), but if they won't let you, the tram ride between them is only 3,20 Swiss Francs. (Or, you can buy a ticket for an ICE from Bad Bhf to SBB for €3,60)

Posted by
10 posts

A follow-up: Browsing Lonely Planet Switzerland I found the statement that" trains to smaller towns in S. Germany leave from the BBF Bahnhof." Checking the route specifics, I found that MY intended route left from SBB station, then 10 min. later arrived at the BBF station en route to Bacharach.
Take-home message- LOTS of info on the DB website; use it.

Posted by
19099 posts

BBF is Badischer Bahnhof or Basel Bad Bahnhof, the place I was talking about. Same place, different name. It's a German station in Switzerland. Badischer Bahnhof was originally built in the 1800s as the end of the German Rail line up the Rhein to Basel. It was a split station, with trains coming in one end, people getting off and going through imigration and customs, then getting back on the train at the other end. Even in 1990, when I went through, Swiss immigration police got on in Freiburg and checked all of our passports before we got to Switzerland, so there was no stop in Basel Bad. Since Switzerland joined Schengen there is no longer immigration. They could still, I imagine, check customs, but that has become a formality.