Please sign in to post.

German rail pass

Are the reservations for couchette additional and how much they cost per person? /Berlin to Salzburg and Munich to Bingen/ Can we use on a same day trains and K-D boats usind one rail pass day?
Katia

Posted by
19240 posts

The rail pass covers only your getting from point A to point B on the train. If you want sleeping accommodations, you pay extra (a supplement or Aufpreis, in German) for that. On the two trains I checked (2 dates for each train), it was €27,50 for a 6 person couchette or €37,50 for a 4 person one. The CNL brochure shows €20 and €30, but it wouldn't be the first time something on the Bahn was out of date. There is a night train from Berlin to Munich, but not to Salzburg. You'd have to transfer to a day train in Munich. Similarly, there is a night train from Munich to Koblenz. It make a stop just before Koblenz at Frankfurt Flughafen. It goes through, but does not stop in Bingen, which is between the two stops. You'd have to get off at either the airport or Koblenz and take trains from there. Note, according to the "7 PM" rule, for a night train that leaves after 19:00 and you stay on until after 4 AM, you fill in the 2nd day. That means you can use your pass for the Munich-Salzburg train or the Koblenz-FRA trains. Yes, if you are using your rail pass for the trains, you can use it for the K-D boats as well. As long as the date is filled in, you can use the pass for either mode of transportation.

Posted by
3050 posts

If you're thinking of getting a railpass I wouldn't take night trains. You can use the high speed trains with the railpass without any extra fees, whereas if you are determined to use night trains you're probably better off buying point to point tickets in advance due to the extra costs. The German Saver (2 person) Railpass can be a good value if you're making long haul day trips on ICE trains. I don't see much point to taking night trains for those routes. You can find cheap lodging in all your locations if you're thinking you'll save money by taking a night train.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi again, Since you are so helpful may be you could advise me some more. I had never used rail pass before.I am trying to figure what will be the most cost effective way for 2 people to travel in Germany 6-7 days. Twin Rail pass looks very good but how do we make reservations for the night trains ahead of time. And there is the additional supplement.I can not find it on their Bahn site. When I looked up the nights trains they give me pretty good price for couchettes : 119 Euro for 2 /Berlin -Munich/ and 129 Euro for 2 /Munich - Koblenz/. But is this the final price. It seems it is,but I am not sure. Isn't it better to buy the tickets for the night trains directly and rail pass for the rest of the trip? Or it is better to buy the twin rail pass for more days and deal with the reservations for couchettes later. Does rail pass cover local transportation in Fussen to the castles? obviously, I could use some help. Thank you ,
K

Posted by
6958 posts

I think it's unwise to spend all that time and money covering all that territory when you have so little time. Most people suggest 4 nights just for Berlin. You have time for Berlin + Rhine or Munich area + Rhine. Just save the couchette $ and take the train to Bingen from Berlin in the morning - it's only about 5 hours. Fares can be found for around 40-70€ each for advance-sale tix at the DB site. Seat reservations are not required.

Posted by
19240 posts

"Local transportation in Fuessen to the castles" is by RVO bus. Buses are not covered on a rail pass. However, a rail pass would cover travel by train to Fuessen from Munich, and the buses out to Hohenschwangau are a minimal price - I'm guessing less than €3 each way for an adult. There would be a slight discount for RT if you tell the driver that's what you want.