Please sign in to post.

Gatwick to Victoria Station

I’m arriving at Gatwick at 9am. I want to take the train from the airport to Victoria Station (near our hotel). What’s the best way?? I know the express is the fastest but I’ve also read that using an Oyster card with Southern Railways is cheaper; how does this work??

Posted by
1802 posts

You can enter in your trip on the TFL website.

https://tfl.gov.uk/

The Gatwick Express is a little faster but much more expensive. The other trains are just a little bit slower and make some stops along the way. Drill down on any particular train on the website for details. There’s also bus service.

For the regular train service you can pay with an Oyster card and it looks like a contactless card will work too. I believe Oyster cards are available at Gatwick.

Posted by
2701 posts

If you buy the Gatwick Express in advance it cuts the cost. It will still be more expensive, but its all relative. You get a non-stop train. Seats are widely available and there are luggage racks. The alternatives may find you without seats and no placed to store your bags. We’ve done both and when we are burdened with luggage and jet lagged for the marginal increase in cost we take the Gatwick Express.

Posted by
5326 posts

These days you might opt for the Gatwick Express and find it fairly full of Brighton (and other) commuters if taking it early in the day. By 9am though they will be at work, mainly.

Posted by
847 posts

I have never had a problem getting a seat on the 'regular' trains between Gatwick and Victoria. I travel with a 21" rolling bag and a personal item/tote bag size bag. No problem with those either. When you get to the train station area of the airport just buy a ticket to Victoria. You'll see a choice of Gatwick Express or regular trains, just buy the correct ticket and take that train. It's usually just ten or fifteen minutes longer and a lot cheaper.