Please sign in to post.

GATWICK TO HEATHROW

Will be arriving Gatwick 11:30pm from Pisa on 4/27/12 and departing Heathrow 3:35 pm next day to Chicago. Should we stay at one of airport hotels? Which airport? Which transport between as have lots of time? Anything to kill time near either airport? thanks

Posted by
17249 posts

Since you do not have to be at LHR early, you don't need an airport hotel which to my mind is a wast of one night in Europe. Windsor is close enough to LHR with easy transport, a charming town with lots to see and affordable accommodations.

Posted by
33553 posts

But if you don't touch down until 30 minutes before midnight do you really want to take a taxi all the way to Windsor at that time of the night? Or a coach which would be even slower? I'd vote for Gatwick area, or even the hotel in the airport. Unless you actually want to be checking in during the wee small hours...

Posted by
5797 posts

By the time you get through immigration, it will probably be after midnight. You could take the train to Victoria and stay somewhere within walking distance of the station. This is probably what I would choose to do as you would have a little bit of time in the morning to explore London and then you could head by tube to Heathrow. But if you do this, make sure the hotel knows about your late check-in. Alternatively, you could just sleep at Gatwick. There is a Yotel in the South terminal.

Posted by
8307 posts

You'd do best to stay around Gatwick Airport. There are a bunch of accommodations there. Just Google "Gatwick Airport" to get the big website for the airport, and a list of rooms are there. Your time frame is just a little short of time for taking a train into Central London. There's not a great number of things to do around Gatwick; just another airport area. I'd tell you to sleep late, and relax until they kick you out of your room. It'll be about time to head to the airport terminal anyway.

Posted by
17249 posts

Sorry, I did not see that it was 11:30 PM. I read 11:30 as am since my eyes are not good. If you are getting in that late you might as well just g to an airport hotel like enpveryone says.

Posted by
5797 posts

The Gatwick Express to Victoria runs until 1:35am so if you are up to it, you can get into London that night. However, once you get there it will likely be after the tube shuts down so your transportation from Victoria will be limited to either foot, taxi, or night bus.