Please sign in to post.

FYI ... EU 261 Flight Carrier Protections vs US Carrier

FYI .... The little known positive facts of of the EU 261 flight carrier regulation are important to making EU carrier bookings. Without too much detail, the regs provide compensation for delays and cancellations not provided under US regs and carriers. I'm providing this to make people aware of this in the briefest way and highly suggest researching the matter independently.

If your flight is canceled fewer than 14 days before departure or if it is delayed three hours or more and the delay or cancellation was within the airline’s “reasonable” control, you can receive 250 euros (about $275) for flights of up to 1,500 kilometers (932 miles); 400 euros (about $440) for flights within the European Union of more than 1,500 kilometers and for all other flights between 1,500 kilometers and 3,500 kilometers (2,175 miles); and 600 euros (about $658) for all other

The same compensation applies if you are involuntarily bumped (denied boarding) from a flight operated by a Europe-registered airline (and again, it doesn’t matter if you bought the ticket from a U.S.-based airline).

What even some seasoned travelers who have heard about EU 261 may not realize is that the rule has been amended to include not only travel from Europe but also travel on any European-operated aircraft from the United States as well.

And it also applies not just to travel to or from Europe but, say, on a flight from Los Angeles to Tahiti on Air France or on Norwegian from Los Angeles to Norway.

As long as you’re scheduled to fly on a Europe-based airline, no matter what airline you bought your ticket on, you’re covered.

Posted by
16894 posts

Icelandic, Norwegian, and Swiss airlines are also specified on the link above.

Posted by
112 posts

Point well taken per the example. Thank you for pointing out my error. I politely mean that. Regards.