Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt airport

We have a 10:00 a.m. flight out of Fra in July and will be coming by train from Strasbourg the evening prior.Any suggestions on how to make our morning logistics simple - where to stay accessible to train station, travel time to airport, etc. Thanks so much.

Posted by
19240 posts

I've flown out of FRA a number of times and always stayed right across the street from the station in Mainz. There are S-Bahns leaving Mainz every half hour to the airport. The trip takes 27 min. There's one at 7:02 that gets you two the airport a 7:29. I wouldn't advise getting there any later for a 10 AM flight. I'm guessing you won't be flying Lufthansa. Most other airlines use Terminal 2, which is connected to Terminal 1 and the S-Bahn station (Regionalbahnhof) by shuttle bus (4 min, every 20 min) from in front or the Skyline between the top floors of each terminal. It's about a ½ mile. You could also walk (but you might get lost).

My last trip I stayed at Hotel Königshof. Nice place, great location, good price.

Posted by
518 posts

There is a Sheraton Hotel inside the airport. The downside is that it is expensive. We arrived by train in the evening. The last thing we wanted to do was hunt another train, so we stayed at the Sheraton. It was very nice, had a great restaurant, and it was all relaxing and easy. Yes, it was expensive -- can't remember just how much. The next morning it took 2 minutes to get our check in point. There is also a grocery store in the airport -- sort of hard to find, but it's there. We bought food for the plane there. By the way, your train will arrive at the Fernbahnhoff, which means "far away" train station. It is underneath the airport. It's not all that far away, just farther than the close in train station. If you go into Frankfurt, you will need the Hauptbahnhoff or "close" train station. They are in 2 separate parts of the airport.

Posted by
3 posts

I agree with Lee. I have stayed at the Koenigshof in Mainz many times the night before flying out of FRA. It is a good location for a last night stay near the airport. I have also used the Holiday Inn Express in Morfelden. They are reasonably priced and have shuttle bus service to and from the airport. They will pick you up at the airport for free but charge 5 euro per person for the ride back to the airport. The morning shuttle runs every half hour starting at 0600. The HIE is also near to a good Italian restaurant

Posted by
9153 posts

You could stay in dozens of places in Frankfurt and be at the airport in about 15 minutes. The trains leave every 20 minutes and take 11 minutes from the main train station, or 15 from the next one down, the Hauptwache. Train cost is 3.80 per person.

Strolling along the river in Frankfurt in the evening is a joy, as is sitting in the many cafes in the town square. If you tell me the dates, I can let you know what kind of fests are going on that evening.

Posted by
92 posts

Thank you all for your replies. We are flying Lufthansa out of FRA on July 12 at 10:35a.m. We would love to know about fests going on the night before. Thanks, Jo.

Posted by
19240 posts

Yes, Fern means "far" in Germany, because the trains that use that Bahnhof go far, they're long distance, express trains. The other station in the airport is called the "Regionalbahnhof. It's underground, under the building across the street (access road) from Terminal 1. You get to it by going down the stairs and escalators inside the main hall of Terminal 1. The Fernbahnhof is above-ground, on the other side of the building across the street, which is actually a bus terminal. You get to it via a 2nd floor pedestrian bridge across the access road.

The Hauptbahnhof (main station) is in Frankfurt. Most S-Bahn go through the underground (tief=deep) station at the Frankfurt Hbf.