Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt Airport

I have a five hour layover, if it does indeed endup being five hours, in the middle of the afternoon at Frankfurt Airport. Is this enough time to take a cab into town, have a tasty lunch and a cold beer, and cab back to the airport?
TIA
Tim

Posted by
62 posts

I would say so. You can take the S-Bahn direct from Terminal 1 to Hauptwache (main shopping area) in 16 minutes. From there, it's a short walk down to the Roemerplatz. (Alternatively, you can take the S-Bahn to the Hauptbahnhof and then transfer to the U-4 to the Roemer stop, but the subway is a bit tricky to find at the main station.) I don't know if your connection is going to or coming from Europe, but flying back to the US will require a second security check.

Paul

Posted by
479 posts

It may be enough time, but I would not recommend it. The airport is nowhere near the actual city of Frankfurt, and a lot can go wrong once you leave the airport. You could be left in the city without transportation back to the airport. And at an airport the size of Frankfurt, security can take 1-1.5 hours to get through if you're there at an unfortunate time.

Posted by
2 posts

thank you both for your input. I guess I can drink beer in the airport.

Posted by
190 posts

If it is at the end of your trip, go for it. If at the beginning, don't risk messing up the rest of your trip. But most importantly, have fun!

Posted by
2779 posts

Tim, take a cab to the marketplace of Frankfurt-Höchst (about 15 to 20mins ride) Have a beer at this historical sight (all built in the 10th to 12th century), enjoy a beer or cider (more typical for Frankfurt) outside the castle and maybe have some local lunch. There are three restaurants on that small medival market square. From there take cab back to the airport. That trip can easily be done in under three hours so you'll have plenty of buffer time...

Posted by
2779 posts

@ Jarrod: You can even see the airport from the taller buildings of downtown and you can see the tall buidlings of downtown from the airport's Mc Donald's restaurant. I don't know which airport you went to but it certainly wasn't Frankfurt (could have been "Frankfurt-Hahn" though)...

Posted by
479 posts

To all, When I was there the airport felt very far away from Frankfurt. As I look at Google Maps I see that it is only about 8-10 miles to drive. My apologies for misleading anyone.

Nevertheless, the airport does FEEL like it's very far from downtown. Since a lot can go wrong these days at airports, I probably wouldn't risk it for myself. But if anyone else wants to, then I won't try any more than this to talk someone out of it.

Posted by
9 posts

I agree with Jarrod. I just got back from a trip on Sunday. We also had a 5-hr connection in Frankfurt.
Have you ever been thru the FRA airport? It is HUGE.
Our flight from Venice was on-time and it still took us over an hour to get thru the Passport Control and the additional security check point, and make it to our connecting gate.
They start boarding flights 30 min early, so you might not have as much time as you might think. You might be one of the lucky ones where nothing goes wrong and you make it back in plenty of time.....but, there are so many things that could go wrong. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

Posted by
144 posts

The Frankfurt Airport has plenty of stores to browse and a beer hall in the basement, complete with big screen tv. I wouldn't chance missing a plane.

Posted by
349 posts

Frankfurt is not so charming the Gutenburg Museum(Mainz)is perhaps another idea and just as close .

Posted by
769 posts

The Airport is like a MALL in the front area - PLENTY of beer and restaurant and shop opportunities - its one of the busiest and biggest in europe - so why risk in 5 hrs! Id say enjoy the beer there and relax - then get through all the lines early and realx by the gates. All the US flights go out from a seperate wing of gates - with extra security lines and checks and trams... so as the majority seem to say - play it safe and stick to the airport. On your next trip - add an extra 1/2 day - or try a Sunday AM!