Please sign in to post.

France Rail Pass

I'm an American student studying in Strasbourg, France for 4 months. I know of several trips within France that I will be taking in March and April (mostly to/from Paris and surrounding cities when family comes to visit). Eurail does not offer a rail pass for France specifically but Rail Europe does. I've heard questionable things about Rail Europe, such as another student who is on a similar program as me who got scammed through the Rail Europe website. I've already checked the prices of each individual ticket and it makes more sense financially to purchase a pass given the volume of my travel. Can anyone verify the authenticity and legitimacy of Rail Europe or provide another suggestion for a France rail pass/transportation?

Posted by
1175 posts

Two things -- go to www.tripadvisor.com, Strasbourg, Paris, or France forum, and ask your question there. The go to www.seat61.com for all you'll need to know about train tickets in France, or Europe for that matter, and why passes are usually not recommended nor is Rail Europe. If you are hoping to use high speed trains to go from say Strasbourg on trips to Paris or Nice, those tickets go on sale 90 days prior to travel and get more expensive as the travel date approaches. Regional train tickets, for trips closer to Strasbourg, can be bought on the day of travel, never sell out, and are not that expensive. You are well within the 90 day window for TGV tickets but you can go to www.capitainetrain.com and do some comparative pricing if you have not already done so.

Posted by
2916 posts

Rail Europe is authentic and legit; just not all that useful, especially with outfits like Captaintrain now around. I used RE once, and it was fine, but I doubt if I'll need to do so again. I just used Captaintrain to get tickets for an upcoming trip to France. Of course, if you want a pass, that's a different story.

Posted by
7209 posts

A rail pass is rarely useful anymore with the advent of the heavily discounted tix you can obtain through early purchasing. If you want to take trips from Paris to surrounding cities then just go to www.sncf.com and buy your print at home tix there.

Posted by
4402 posts

I doubt if you friend got scammed on the actual RE site, they probably THOUGHT that's who they were dealing with. RE is a real company that's been around for a while, I got my passes through them with no problem.

And if you're already in France, you can probably find local options through your school or from travel agencies outside train stations that we can't access.

Posted by
16893 posts

The France Rail Pass is a real thing, just happens not to be marketed by Eurail (other independent examples include BritRail, Swiss, and German rail passes). It is not sold in Europe. It can be a good value for longer trips, but you do still need advance reservations for TGVs (about $11 each), which you can make at the same time that you buy the pass, or at stations but well ahead. Although I heard that TGV trains are being less restrictive with passholder reservations now, that's not fully verified and quantified. Rail Europe is the primary US retailer for rail passes and tickets and has been for decades, before the European railways were able to offer web sales.

Remember that the validity period for using a France pass (and any other single-country pass) is within one month, such as from March 15 to April 14. Also note that this pass goes on sale for 20% off tomorrow, so for instance, a 5-day youth flexipass will drop from $208 to about $167.

Will the visiting family be doing enough travel to warrant a rail pass? If they are buying advance-discount reserved tickets, instead, then it could be easier to just book the whole party together with the same product. The youth/student discount card already mentioned is also certainly worth consideration.