Please sign in to post.

FLYING TO EUROPE

We use a United Visa card for miles. It's getting harder to get flights using our free miles. Plus, many people have told me they have been unable to purchase a coach ticket on United and use miles to upgrade to Business class. I would love to do this because coach class is getting more confined. Any experiences others have had with this?

Posted by
805 posts

For the past several years if you want to go abroad using miles during high season you really had to have booked out at least six months in advance. For business class, also be aware that you will be required to purchase a more expensive ticket that is upgradeable than you would if you simply wanted to travel coach.

Posted by
6898 posts

We are also United Mileage Plus people and have flown business class. A few suggetions: 1) you may have to book as soon as the flights have been posted. This is almost 330 days in advance. 2) talk online to the agent and do not try to do this on the website. The agent can come up with great answers. 3) Try for flying into one city and departing another. United will do this for you.

On our last flight to Italy, United flew us from Sacramento to LAX where we picked up a 6:10pm flight on their Star Alliance partner Lufthansa and we flew non-stop to Frankfurt. At Frankfurt, we transferred to another local Lufthansa flight to Florence. Lufthansa business class was absolutely fantastic. Our return flight was out of Zurich on United to Wash. DC and then non-stop to Sacramento. On our 3-week trip, we did a lot of Northern Italy and the Berner Oberland.

Posted by
144 posts

I just took a trip to Frankfurt and Istanbul from the Bay Area on miles. Trip was in July, and we booked in January. It was economy, but I have to say that Lufthansa is the way to go if you can. I had legs on this trip with Air Canada and United also, and there was no comparison. If you have to go United, try to get Economy Plus, even if it costs a bit more--those 4 inches make a big difference. And try not to fly with a stop in Canada--extra customs clearing and a grand opportunity for them to lose your bag!

Posted by
6788 posts

I do pretty much all my international flights using frequent flyer miles. This fall we're going to Spain. Last fall we went to Bali and Thailand. The year before that, Benelux, Germany & Austria. Couple yea years before, Italy. Southeast Asia. France. To be honest, I haven't paid E an airline ticket in almost 10 years (except for short-haul flights once I got there). All done using credit cards (2nd determination). So you definitely CAN play the system and win...but you have to know how to play the game, and the airlines do everything they can to keep you in the dark.

Posted by
211 posts

As a Christmas gift to me last year, my father used his points to fly me business class to Paris.
First off I would check what type of plane you would be flying in and what type of services they offer to see if its worth it. For example, do they have seats that transform into a bed? Etc. Oddly enough I found the bed more of a bonus on the day flight back because I could strech out with a blanket and watch movies for the flight, very comfy.

The only problem however that I had was that my flight path was kind of wacky, I flew Pairs-Frankfurt-Toronto-Halifax, and unlike a regular business class ticket, I was unable to have my flight changed when I wanted to fly back a few days eariler. I'd check with your airline to see how points work with upgrades.

Posted by
1358 posts

Larry is right about 330 days advance. I have used my AA miles for the past 3 years for every flight I've taken without problem because I am able to plan 11 months in advance.

Two years ago an agent told me that AA normally reserved only 3 to 6 tourist class seats on any given flight for frequent flyers. There are probably fewer now. When I have had to change dates, AA will do so without charge!

Because I request seats so early I have always been able to get the flight I choose without problem. I know that not everyone can do that, but it is certainly worth setting as a goal.