Please sign in to post.

Flying Open Jaw?

We are flying open jaw this September from Portland, Oregon to Shannon, Ireland then Rome, Italy back to Portland. Right now flights are approx $1500....good deal or should we wait?
Never been to Europe, so were are clueless.

Posted by
32219 posts

Aubrey, Air fares seem to be a bit higher this year, probably due to the increased cost of fuel, so the fare you quoted seems about right. I'm starting to research open jaw flights for my trip this year (also from the west coast), and these seem to be in the range of $1700-1900 at the moment. I'm not sure whether waiting will really make that much difference. I'm going to monitor the fares for a short time, just to get some idea whether they're moving up or down. Happy travels!

Posted by
9 posts

Aubrey, I'm getting pretty good airfares for June, if you can call $1100 good airfare. I'm flying open jaw and with a short hopper included between destinations. In to Barcelona, hop to Paris, and Paris back to Portland. Try hipmunk.com. It's giving me the best airfare and flight options. My airfare has to be purchased from orbitz, I can't get that good a deal from the airline itself.
I think $1500 is expensive and I don't think it can get much worse than that so I don't think you will lose out by waiting. September is still a ways out, you might catch a break.

Posted by
1986 posts

saw an article today- United/Continental are raising domestic fares about $50 and the others are following. I would guess this is going to continue all summer

Posted by
19 posts

I'm flying open jaw from Atlanta to London and then from Dublin to Atlanta around the middle of June and the cost is around $1420. I thought this was high but booked it in late December and the same flights have gone up since them.

Posted by
23310 posts

Hard to forecast. My first reaction was a little high. But Rome tends to be a more expensive airport than, say Milan. You might plug in a Milan return just if there is much difference. A couple of years ago we did a Denver, Rome, Zurich, Denver. And that ticket was $200 less than RT to Rome. Also using smaller airports like Portland tend to be little more expensive. This past December we did Denver, Strausbourg,Prague, Denver for about $1250. I thought that was little high for that time of year. We started watching around Sept 1 when it was about $1100 and it slowly climb till late Oct when we purchased. Comparefare might give you an idea of the range for that ticket in years past.

Posted by
81 posts

We flew Chicago-Nuremberg then Prague-Chicago last December for $900. Most of the fares were $1100-1200, but I happened to catch it one day when the fare dropped (on a Saturday morning six months in advance).

Posted by
284 posts

Aubrey, Compare this price to the price for the following: - open jaw ticket from Portland to Shannon and Rome to Portland
- one way ticket from Shannon to Rome Sometimes it is cheaper overall to do some of the middle legs as one way tickets especially if there is a regional or local carrier that offers low prices tickets. Edwin

Posted by
1446 posts

Can you please share the details of the flights you found? and where you bough from? Thanks.

Posted by
47 posts

We bought thru cheaptickets. All day long I was surfing for deals and this one popped up. Crappy part is on the way back we have to switch planes 2x and we decided to go to Dublin instead of Shannon. Pdx to Toronto to Dublin. Rome to Zurich, to San Fran to pdx.