Please sign in to post.

Flying AerLingus using British Airways Avios

Hello! I am planning on a trip to Ireland next year and have built up British Airways Avios to get reward travel. Does Avios work with AerLingus? I was initially planning on going back to London, but am reconsidering and researching Ireland travel instead. Even building up the points, flying BA using my avios will still cost around $1000+ for taxes, fuel, surcharges, etc. Trying to research now to see what my options are.

Thank you!
Natalie

Posted by
5326 posts

Yes you can book Aer Lingus with Avios but they don't show up on the BA online search facility - you need to call BA to book.

Most economical way by use of miles is the flight out of Boston, but this makes it more difficult to find availability on.

Incidentally 'fuel surcharge' is an outdated term. The current one is 'carrier fee'.

BA (or its parent IAG) has made two offers to buy up Aer Lingus in recent weeks. Third time might be the charm ...

Posted by
9363 posts

When do you plan on traveling, and what airport do you fly out of?

Posted by
81 posts

Hi Nancy!

I will be travelling (in October 2016) out of either JFK, O'Hare, or Boston. I have heard Boston is the best bet for AerLingus into either Shannon or Dublin.

~Natalie

Posted by
14946 posts

Natalie....sometimes booking a trip from your local airport may actually be cheaper than trying to book from one of the big cities you mentioned.

Posted by
43 posts

We used our avios to book aerlingus Boston to Dublin to Malaga. No difficulty at all. The trick is the short miles (under 3000 miles) for a leg. Contact BA after searching availability on United and give BA what you want. Very helpful folks. Two economy RT for 70,000 avios and $300. We used Alaska miles to get to Boston.