Please sign in to post.

Fly out of Naples instead of Rome?

This questions was posed several years ago but I am looking for more answers. We are faced with the decision of flying out of Rome or Naples to US (we will be in Sorrento). Has anyone flew out of Naples instead of Rome to US? I can fly out of Naples for almost the same price as flying out of Rome and I would have one extra stop (Rome) instead of taking train from Sorrento to Rome and then flying out of Rome to US. Want to know if anyone has done this and what their experience was.

Posted by
15172 posts

Unless you want to visit Rome, I would fly out of Naples. You'll save time and money (trains aren't free). It will also be more hassle free since you don't have to go through a lot of carrying around of luggage on trains and stuff. There is a bus with Curreri Viaggi that can take you from the Sorrento train station to the airport for 10 euros. Once in Naples airport you check in (with Alitalia I suppose if you fly to Rome) and you don't have to worry about carrying your luggage until you are back in the US. Unfortunately the first bus departs Sorrento at 6:30 and gets to the NAP airport at 8:00am.
If you need to make the 7:00am Alitalia flight to Rome, you may want to spend the night in Naples the night before, then take a taxi to the airport. You could also take a taxi directly from Sorrento to the NAP Airport, but it's going to cost you about 100 euros (and you have to leave earlier in the morning). Curreri also has door to door shuttles. From Sorrento to the airport they charge 80 euro for up to 3 passengers. www.curreriviaggi.it If you decide to depart from Rome (for example because you want to visit Rome), you must go to Rome the day before your flight. From Sorrento to the Rome airport would be at least 3-4 hours with multiple modes of transportation.