Please sign in to post.

florence tuscany and cinque terre

we will have 16 days next june (14 if yu dont';e count ait travel.where would you start, in what sequence, and how much time would you spend in each area. we have been to florence and to sinena and san gimignano, but on a tour (ugh) we will go back to the way we always did it, on our own. any suggestions?

Posted by
10344 posts

Yes, that's 14 days to do and see things--the travel days don't count as days to see/do things.

"Tuscany" is a big area--give us something to narrow down your Tuscany destinations, what do you like, what do you want to see.

Florence: if you like art & architecture, 3 days, if you don't, 2 days.

Cinque Terre: go there only if you like hiking and seascape; if you do, then 2 to 3 days.

That leaves a lot of time for "Tuscany."

For Florence and C.T.: you don't want a car.

Tuscany: you probably need a car.

Posted by
32212 posts

joyce,

It would help if you could Edit your Post, as part of it is not easily understood.

Also, as Kent mentioned it would help to clarify what parts of Tuscany you want to visit. It's a big region with lots of possibilities.

Regarding your comments about "a tour (ugh)", I suspect you're not referring to a RS tour (you might consider one at some point in the future, as they're awesome!).

Posted by
21 posts

My perfect travel day: While I have enjoyed many perfect days, I would have to say that I never tire of being in the hilltowns of Provence or Umbria. After beginning with a good breakfast, the balance of the day would certainly include visiting a local market in the morning, a slow paced, leisurely lunch with some local wine followed up with visits to a couple really cool nearby villages or major sites. Then, I'd head back to a comfortable hotel before a relaxed evening meal trying some of the local food items and wines.

OK, I admit it. I copied it from RS's bio on their consultants. this about sums up what my husband and i would enjoy doing...

Also, is the hiking in CT very rigorous? Maybe I can talk him into it!!

Posted by
32212 posts

Joyce,

To answer your last question regarding "hiking in the Cinque Terre", the hiking isn't necessarily "rigourous".

The most challenging (and rigorous) hike is from Monterosso al Mare to Vernazza. It involves somewhat of a climb at the beginning (which is a bit of a "workout") and then a downhill stretch into Vernazza. The next section from Vernazza to Corniglia is also somewhat challenging, but not as much as the previous section.

Travelling from Riomaggiore to Manarola in the south is not too rigorous at all (IMO), as the walk along the mostly paved Via del'Amore is like a walk in the park. There's also a small Bar/Restaurant part way along where one can have a "cool one" looking over the ocean.

Perhaps this would convince your husband...

The hike from Manarola to Corniglia is not too bad, although there are a LOT of steps to get up to the town. If you're just going to the station, it's fairly easy.

Cheers!

Posted by
21 posts

You are right...it was not an RS tour. I am sure they are terrific. In the past, We have used the tour guides that RS recommended. they changed their name and I can't recall it right now, but they were excellent!
Ok, I will try to give you siome ideas.
1. have been to Florence briefly, but not enought time to sse the art and architecture, so 3 days there probably a good idea. (Besides, I would NOT want to miss a visit to the Mercante Centrale!
2. I would love to see Cinque Terre, but my husband is not too keen on hiking, so I thought maybe we could stay and do the train to the towns.
3. I know tuscany is a large area and I would like to see the best of it. Moving to another city every 2 or 3 days wouldn't be a problem because we plan to have a car.
We have been to Italy several times and the trips we enjoyed the most were the ones when we rented a car and went off on our own. (I am a very good map reader) I guess the main question is where to stay as a base. Would you suggest Siena for a couple of days so we could tour the chianti region? then maybe Lucca, or would you do SanGimignano?
We have found that on day trips you tend to miss the normalcy in a village (after the daytrippers leave) and this is what we enjoy...(an example is Capri...1st time-day trip, 2nd time 2 days-big difference!!))costly, but worth every minute!
local markets, picnics, wine and wineries, some touristy things, but not too many.
Sorry, I tend to ramble...thanks!!

Posted by
14 posts

I would recommend a minimum of three full days, not including arrival and departure in Florence. The art is spectacular. If you are looking for a place a B&B called Casa dei Tintori is wonderful, very convenient to everything and lovely owners. I have stayed there twice and would go again in a heartbeat. I am somewhat handicapped and I was able to hike in the Cinque Terra. The boat between the towns is an interesting experience as well and you can see each of the towns from the water as you approach. I would choose one town as a base and stay there 2 days if you don't like to lie on the beach and 3 if you do. Hope that helps.

Posted by
21 posts

would you stay in Lucca for your home base in Tuscany or do you think you would have to split the days up between Siena and Lucca?

Posted by
98 posts

If you have a car, why not split the days... see the area around Lucca, and then move to Siena and see the surrounding area.

Posted by
536 posts

Hi Joyce - I've been fortunate to have helped many travelers plan their itineraries BUT - that is not to say I'm perfect. In your case I would start in Liguria perhaps with Hotel Metropole in Santa margarita - A wonderful location, excellent Hotel, and a solid bast to work from for a few days. Train up to La Cinque Terre which , as you know, is Fantastic. Also very close proximity to Portofino - Be careful - very overpriced!
On down to Tuscany I would suggest a fabulous B&B three miles outside of San Gimignano called Casolare di Libbiano, owned and operated by Berta and her husband Andrea. Beautiful property and close to San Gimignano as well as Volterra.
Perhaps a rental car would be good Joyce for a few days so that you guys could experience even more of Tuscany. Much more fun exploring on your own than with a busload of people and a strict schedule. Nice to be able to stop whenever you want to. Have a Great trip - How can you not????
Ciao, Greg